BC to ES adapter

As evidence by?

IMHO the ring final circuit plus fused plug is a bit like the NHS: it's easy to see why it was introduced and it has some good points but when you look at how many times it has been imitated...

Reply to
Robin

I don't see anyone could possibly have formed that impression from reading this newsgroup.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Very very difficult to make a major change like that these days. Different when the final ring circuit was introduced - lots of new and re-building after WW2, and many older houses only having basic electrics anyway.

However, with hindsight, the final ring design makes even more sense today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're claiming that a bad connection carrying 16A isn't a fire hazard, then either you know something no-one else does or you're crazy.

It would require a new type of mains plug be used, causing no end of hassle for decades. The relevant people don't consider that worthwhile.

A supplementary 5/12v ring wouldn't be a bad thing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Careful with the quoting. ;-)

It's a common statement that our 13 amps plus are too big for many things

- but some will remember when there were all sorts of different sizes in common use and the hassles that caused. You'd also have to give an example of a country with a better system than ours. As a change made purely from theory is likely to have problems in practice.

Given how cheap wall warts are I'm not sure it would be worth it. Not sure what the 12v would be used for?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

not for the people selling copper. Think about the current rating,

Reply to
charles

Yes. But even though our plug is quite big, these days they are slimmed down compared to years ago. In fact, looking at the charger plug for my phone, I see that in fact it's not a plug, it's a wall wart with a USB socket on it.

More than one plug type would be a nuisance. My house in the US had these sockets: 2-pin, 2-pin polarised, 3-pin, and 240V for the washer/dryer. Mind you it was old; new property there would only have the last two of that list.

I think ours from a physical PoV is no better/worse than others (except the US 3-pin which is quite flimsy). It having a fuse and an earth pin that unshutters the hot pins on the sockets are useful safety features.

Rellies we visited at the w/e had new socket plates with USB sockets in too, presumably for charging.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I like the Swiss three pin, and the Italian which is similar (but not enough to fit the same socket). But a lot of Italian sockets also take the Schuko which is often seen fitted to appliances there.

And the power loss in a long cable.

Reply to
DJC

I sure can't imagine why

It would clear away most of the wallwarts, and stop the sale of most of them. Many would like that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Try to remember to breathe too.

Reply to
tabbypurr

As I said, I have a wall wart producing 5V which looks just like a plug. Most are quite small these days, or can be.

And as someone else said, distributing low voltages round the house would be quite lossy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most of the wall warts? What do you have that uses 12v?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've snipped oddly, I said 5v & 12v. Those 2 most popular voltages cover the majority of wallwart supplied appliances.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

and some are AC, some DC, some centre positive, some centre negative...

how would you cater for all variations within one faceplate? It'd look ugly as sin for sure.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Nearly all are dc. I've not yet come across a wallwart supplied ac applianc e that wasn't perfectly happy on dc. Appliances are usually centre positive, but not always. Since the faceplate has sockets rather than leads it's a nonissue.

It's the appliance connectors that vary, not the faceplate outlets, so anot her nonissue.

Another completely baseless claim. Barrel connectors are a small fraction t he size of mains plugs, so most of the mess at the socket is gone. Domestic life would be tidier with the wallwarts gone. It would also free up now-us ed relatively bulky mains sockets, reducing the use of adaptors & 4 way lea ds.

The appliance to wall leads wouldn't need the extra materials & safety test ing required of mains leads, making them cheaper. Most products would no lo nger need to be sold with a wart. 2 smpsus per average house could replace the current proliferation of warts. They can supply USB outlets as well as barrel sockets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

5v, certainly. But you can already buy 13 amp sockets with USB 5v outlets for where you'd want that. Can't really see whole house ELV circuits being worth the bother.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'd also need some meaty wiring to make sure a central PS provided a decent low impedance source. It would likely make more sense to feed at a higher voltage and having a local voltage regulator to do that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can. But these days small appliances are used in most rooms, and filling the house with those sockets is costly.

You could say the same of plumbing. Why bother, when I can just carry a jug of water up with me. Over time it can reduce costs, tidy houses up & improve safety.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

(1) Is the ring main protected from failure of the 230V to 5V converter by an average-user-replaceable standard fuse?

(2) The answer is to have, on the market, BS1362-fused wall-warts with, ins tead of a flexible lead, USB 5V (or other, for other voltages) outlets on o ne or more of the non-front faces. And perhaps an un-fused BS1363 socket o n the front. In the event of a fault, plug in a spare wart instead.

(2.5) And similar warts which are powered USB hubs, without the BS1363 plug .

(W) There should be plastic USB (etc.) bungs, to keep dirt, etc., out of US B (etc.) sockets; I've not seen any. They could be designed to be removabl e using a medium-sized crochet hook. They should not be removable by infan ts.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

not particularly. Using 2 cores only:

2.5mm2 twin in a straight line on 5v gets you a 13m run at 4A staying with USB spec, with the PSU in the centre of the run. 2.5mm twin figure of 8 ring gets you a 26m run off one PSU, 52m off 2 PSUs for a total of 8A output. With 4 branches coming from each rather than 2, r unning in different directions you get 104m of run with 2.5mm2 twin, or lon ger if you use T&E and connect the earth wire too. Other layouts can get you further, and for large houses more than 2 PSUs ca n be used. And 8A of supply can run more than 8A of appliances due to diversity.

Why do I think you've not done the maths.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr