BC to ES adapter

Quite. It's a solution looking for a non existent problem.
--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Nothing even remotely like enough for a whole house.

Nothing like enough for what most have in their house.

Nothing even remotely like enough for a whole house.

Nothing like enough for what most have in their house. Almost all of my more recent modems and modem/routers take 2A each.

Still nothing like enough for most houses.

Not legal.

Makes a lot more sense to use wall warts and plug boards where there are more than a couple of wall warts.

There is fuck all diversity when so much of what is powered by wall warts is on all the time with routers and stuff like that.

Because you have always been a fuckwit.
On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 20:27:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

ps.com>,

ook

your brain has completely failed.

5v, certainly. But you can already buy 13 amp sockets with USB 5v outlets for where you'd want that. Can't really see whole house ELV circuits being worth the bother.
--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 11:11:49 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can. But these days small appliances are used in most rooms, and filling the house with those sockets is costly.

You could say the same of plumbing. Why bother, when I can just carry a jug of water up with me. Over time it can reduce costs, tidy houses up & improve safety.
NT

Have you worked out the cost of having your low voltage supply available everywhere you currently have a mains socket, then? And the costs of the cable and central power supply? Let alone installation costs.

You might say that. But it's nonsense.

Having lots and lots of extra sockets tidies things up?
I'd love to know your estimate of how much it would cost.
--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 13:38:24 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's a wide range, depending on system details and when & who did the job.
NT
On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 14:01:35 UTC, tabby wrote:

If it's ever done, and it seems fairly likely, I expect it'll start as a selling point for new builds. Look! All that clutter gone! Only Weasel luxury homes offer that!
As years go by I expect ever more to convert from mains to 5/12v power. Many portable radios, radio alarms, maybe printers, computer speakers, small stereos, rechargeable torches, computers, shavers, toothbrushes, gameboxes, etc etc.
NT

Since valve days, all these things run off lower than mains voltage, via an internal power supply.
And many, like computers, have more than one low voltage rail. So will still need an internal power supply to derive those from your single one.
To be as flexible as using mains, you'd need an equal number of low volt outlets. Thus doubling up such things in the average house.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 15:16:38 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

some do, most don't.

A 1.5" square can carry 4 low voltage outlets comfortably at less cost than a single mains socket. Or a 1" strip as high as mains sockets.
NT

And just how are you going to mount that in a wall? Fittings are a standard size so you can use standard size back boxes.
But carry on - you are just confirming you have no idea how to cost this sort of job.
--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 00:22:15 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can't work out how to mount a backbox & faceplate to a wall? Holy ----. Hint: mains sockets, phone sockets, aerial sockets & others have been doing it in several ways for a good century. That ought to give you at least a clue re costs, but maybe not.
NT

Without using a proper back box? Why would I?

Sounds like you'd be happy with surface mount sockets and surface run cables. Which would explain things.
With some, as neat as possible looking job is as important as functionality.
--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

On Wednesday, 15 February 2017 11:47:39 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

that doesn't even make sense

hint: your imagination is not reality. You do not have mind reading skills.
NT

You obviously didn't understand what using non standard faceplate sizes meant, then.
--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 00:38:58 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Come back when you have something sensible to say.

Still waiting for you to explain how you'd fit:-
**************
Subject: Re: BC to ES adapter Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 22:40 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
A 1.5" square can carry 4 low voltage outlets comfortably at less cost than a single mains socket. Or a 1" strip as high as mains sockets.
*************
in the usual flush way.
The thing being I've over the years made up many special outlets for AV etc and know what is easy to do. To make them look as good as possible in a domestic setting.
Each and every post of yours say to me it's not something you've done.
--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 10:45:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So you're saying that it's not a workable plan because you can't think how to make the outlet pretty? Hopefully you've seen plenty of outlets modern & historic, mass produced and hand drilled. So you know quite well what the options & issues are, and can make your choice however you like. I can't se e any point in pinning it to one outlet design.
FWLIW I was thinking of using barrel connectors. Whether you pick or design the box to blend in with mains sockets or be its own thing appearance-wise is somewhat immaterial.

I designed & made electronics for years. I think you're fond of playing gue sses.
NT

Yes. And in a domestic setting all the same sizes based on standard socket sizes.

Then I'll try again. Are you also going to make up the special sized backing boxes required too?

I'll try again. How are you going to mount those barrel connectors? Just have then on the end of a cable hanging out of the wall?

This is more domestic electrics than electronics. As I think you'd know if you'd ever made a custom design. These days you can buy ready made outlets with a variety of connectors (like say for AV) but they all still conform to the conventional socket sizes.

--
*CAN AN ATHEIST GET INSURANCE AGAINST ACTS OF GOD?

On Friday, 17 February 2017 00:34:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

in that case there's a lot of outlets you've not seen.

How pointless.
NT