BBC iPlayer HD problem

Martin Brown wrote:

Right click the video, you get a pop-up showing the bitrate, resolution, region and which content delivery network are being used.

the DA of DASH video stands for Dynamic Adaptive, it starts off with lower bitrates, and increases if it can see your connection can do more, seamlessly switching to a higher bitrate/resolution stream, but if it senses your connection is struggling it will drop you back down.

Turnip trying to show just how PC he is by boasting he actually talked to a black nurse. An extremely important bit of information to the topic. As was her age. Was that on her badge too?
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

I took it as him being a compulsive liar and telling the bbc he was a black nurse.

Someone else that doesn't know how to get HD on iPlayer then. I wonder if MB will accuse him of being dim?
On 07/07/2018 13:11, Martin Brown wrote:

I'm not the clueless one that can't get HD on iPlayer though. I would tell you but I am not using a PC to access it. My TV does iPlayer in UHD and its easy to find.
Maybe I'm not as dim as you are.
On 08/07/2018 11:32, dennis@home wrote:

More likely that your TV is way smarter than you are.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 07/07/2018 08:30, Martin Brown wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/hd_general
On my web browser (Firefox on a Mac), some programmes have a 'switch' shown beneath the picture if it's available. Similar on the Samsung and LG TV apps.
UHD on the TV is pretty good. I'm not sure if my TV is big enough to appreciate the extra resolution (UHD 43" TV - up close there's maybe more detail over HD, I'm not sure), but the colours through the iPlayer at least look far richer when watching live.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 07/07/2018 13:16, RJH wrote:

It seems to be that they have deliberately degraded the BBC1 live streaming internet feed to 1M7 as opposed to ~3M on BBC2, News and watch on demand Poldark. It makes any kind of fast sports action look rubbish. Native image resolution 960x540 interpolated up doesn't help either.
The BBC1 feed identifies as "1700kbps | dash (II_dash_live_https)" whereas those for BBC channels at decent bandwidth identify as "2908kbps | dash (akmai_dash_live_https)". It takes about 10s to move the the higher speed when first selected. BBC1 never speeds up :(

At this rate we will give up and watch it in true HD on my 47" at home but it is a tremendous disappointment to find that BBC1 HD streaming no longer works reliably when it was once perfectly good. Fine time for them to cock it up. What is the point of a non-native HD resolution?
What sort of moron puts sports action onto a low bandwidth stream?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 07/07/2018 14:18, Martin Brown wrote:

Yes, does seem arbitrary, Wimbledon is currently at 5166kbps here for instance.

At a guess, cost saving?

The sounds is usually louder too. Not sure that makes either correct. ;-)
--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Martin Brown wrote:

Make sure you're trying to watch a national version of BBC1, rather than a regional one ... then you should get 1280x720 rather than 960x540
On 07/07/2018 14:04, Andy Burns wrote:

How do you force iPlayer to access the national channel? The BBC HD FAQ is f*cking useless and fails 404.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:

"change location" close to the bottom of the page
On 07/07/2018 08:30, Martin Brown wrote:

The BBC have changed the encoding method for "efficiency" so effectively you cannot choose any more, it will deliver what it sees is appropriate according to your connection speed.
Now using "Dash" encoding: https://www.w3.org/2011/09/webtv/slides/W3C-Workshop.pdf