Plumbing

OK so I have finally reached the coupling up the basin taps stage. Sadly the advance purchase of 15mm cu to 1/2" tap are all female fittings where the poxy flexible tails need male couplers. I think Toolstation do something suitable but delivery only.

Also do tapered thread fittings exist anymore? I have a set of bath taps with a single spout outlet. The connections appear to be parallel thread female 1/2".

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Can't help on Q1 as i've never used flexi tails.

I've always found taps to have male parallel connections and need the tap connector with a thin fibre washer to seal on the end of the tail rather than the thread itself.

hth Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I usually use a 15mm compression / compression service valve... take the nut and olive off the tap end, and screw the flexi tail nut straight onto the valve. The tap nut should include a rubber seal in the nut.

They do. Sometimes required for gas work, but seldom for water.

Unusual for a bath tap IME.

You can get male 1/2" bps to compression adaptors that also have a flange. That will allow an O ring to go round the thread and make a seal against the base of the tap.

Alternatively you could use a taper fitting and PTFE if you preferred.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lucky man.

Yes. I haven't described this well. See answer to John.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. They do.

Inadequate description. This is a wall mounted bronze? casting for filling over the bath side.

Or even a parallel one with lots of PTFE:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Are they a major problem? I was thinking they might be easier when I come to renew some taps as part of tarting up the bathroom that I put in mid 80s

Tips and gotchas welcome

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There was a fairly negative thread a bit back. Significant failure rate and some concern about imports not meeting wra spec. Probably not well suited to low pressure systems.

Twisting during fitting can be tricky. IANAP

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So you will get a good seal on the valve.

Ah, the spout is separate from the tap bit...

Something like:

might make it easier...

Yup, it will work, but never feels as solid as a taper fitting.

Reply to
John Rumm

I see Toolstation do them, item 29242. I'll have to do a shopping run to a plumbers merchant at some time so I'll ask there. Ta!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Taps use a parallel thread with a fibre washer to seal - don't over tighten. The washer will swell when wet and improve the seal. I usually do "finger tight" then a bit with a spanner.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In my neck of the woods there are plans afoot to switch over to ¼" high pressure pipes. Makes a good deal of sense, but I suspect adoption will be a very slow process.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom
.

Spot on! The thread is the clamping device and has no bearing on the seal - (PTFE not needed). The fibre washer is the key to making the seal. Clean faces and new washer.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They aren't going to give anywhere near the flow you get from existing

15mm high pressure pipes.
Reply to
dennis

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Curiously I had an E-Mail from TMH confirming the above. When I tried to respond by mail it bounced!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Can't see that PN on the TS site?

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah! I found it in a Google search. Perhaps discontinued?

I have ordered Conex 92190

Reply to
Tim Lamb