Bathroom lights and refurb

I am in the process of re doing my bathroom have ordered the suite etc, but we also want to change the lighting in the bathroom to some spot lights. Not sure how many we will need, the bathhroom is about 3m by about 3.5 so was thinking about 6.

What is the best way to do this. Should I keep the orginal ceiling and install a "false" ceiling to install the lights.

Also how easy is it to install the spot lights? Is it easy to wire up.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Mistry

I'm assuming you mean halogen downlighters, the sort recessed into the ceiling?

More information needed. Eg, if you have a conventional modern plasterboard ceiling and plenty of access above, then normally there's nothing to be gained by installing a false ceiling. The other extreme is if you had an old lath-and-plaster ceiling in poor condition, and with no access to the wiring down from above, and plenty of headroom in the bathroom, then a suspended ceiling would be eminently sensible.

Another possible consideration is fire protection - eg if you have another flat above you, you can't go chopping big holes in the ceiling willy nilly without precautions

Google this newsgroup for 'downlighters'...

David

Reply to
Lobster

A false ceiling certainly has some advantages, such as not compromising fire safety.

However, you should consider that halogen downlighters are very environmentally unfriendly and cause excessive global warming. My conscience does not allow me to install them. I put my money where my mouth is, too. It took me ages to find a Zone 1 light fitting that would accept CFLs and I will concede that it is not quite as attractive.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle