C-C-C (can I bring myself to say it?) Combi question

Due to a change in personal circumstances I am planning a move to a more bijou residence that has a loft conversion and therefore no tanks and therefore a combi boiler. As the question of whether or not to have a combi doesn't arise (I would prefer not to have one but don't regard them as the spawn of the devil), perhaps that question could be ignored! The house was chosen for other reasons than the combi (obviously).

The one already installed is a Vaillant (age uncertain) and is clearly providing the needs of the current occupants (a family of four with two daughters). I would be interested in an opinion on these particular combi's and what steps one might take to improve and upgrade a bog-standard combi installation. I could sift through vast quantities of back posts but, how shall I put this, the signal to noise ratio is a little low. A fresh and clear precis of Dr Drivel's views on heat stores, good combis etc., welcome before the flames start ;o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well OK, from a user perspective rather than an advocate, I have a Vaillant Combi. Why do you want to improve it? Its function is to heat the house - it does - and to heat hot water - it does. Compared to the un-pumped wheezing lump of cast iron it replaced it is better at heating the house. Compared to the boiler + hot water tank it does take longer to run a bath than it did before. On the other hand when you have run a bath you can top it up with toasty water when it cools off, and the next person can start running a bath the moment the last drop has gone down the plug hole without having to wait for ages for the water to warm up again. This has made it a big success with the family (at least 3 people liable to arrive home cold wet and muddy after Sunday morning sports). It uses noticeaby less gas than the previouus system, but courtesy of the gas provider's increases this hasn't saved us money!

I am sure that there are better technologies to acheive all of the above,ranging from hewing wood and lioading it into an eco freindly wood burner, through a computer controlled system with a zone valve and independent thermostatically controlled modulated doo-hickey in every room, but life's too short.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

I have been told that the Vaillant can be good for 30 to 40 years

The only think I have against it is flow rate which can cause problems when showering and using other hot taps at the same time, but low cold water flow rate to the house can cause similar problems which would not be solved by a higher spec combi

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I'm not quite clear what the question is but if you already have a combi and its a Vaillant then thats a good starting point as they are a well engineered piece of kit. Apart from ensuring that it works properly and is maintained,im not sure what else you could do. Look at insulation rather than the heating system. Make your property more fuel efficient. This is where savings are to be made these days. The name of the game is to reduce fuel useage.

tarquinlinbin

Well that was one of the questions so thanks for that.

And thanks for all replies (so far)

Reply to
Bob Mannix