Bathroom extractor

Hi everyone I have just re-installed my in-line extractor (the type wit
a down light in the centre of the ceiling cowell). Anyway I have now go the timer working (previous owner connected the lives the wrong wa round). I have mounted the fan on the wall in the loft so it pushes th air upwards I take it this is O.K. as I always see them installed on joist moving the air sideways if you see what I mean, and B&Q now hav the kits in visi packs so you can't get to the instructions anymore Also it seems to make a faint booming sound which we didn't notic before but now it stays on you can hear it at night when in bed. Th boom is similar to the noise of a car stereo where you can hear th Bass of a song but nothing else and it gets a bit annoying sometimes Mind you if I drink a few Stellas or Kronies I go to sleep instantl but my wife doesn't see this as a long term solution
-- Alec
Alec wrote:

One like this, with an in-line fan, right?: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 061&tsh331
Can't see how the orientation of the fan would make any difference. Can you tell if the noise is coming down the vent, or through the ceiling? If the former, maybe an inline damper (www.bes.ltd.uk) would help (or shut the bathroom door! :-) ); if the latter, maybe more ceiling insulation?
But either way, the first thing I'd try is mounting the motor on something with a bit of 'give' to dampen any vibration: mine is attached to a roof purlin, but with large rubber washers between the timber and fan. Helps a lot.
David