Balcony?

Hi All, I have a fairly standard 2 up-2 down type house with a reasonable sized garden. I have been thinking about getting a balcony constructed on the side, with a door located on the upstairs landing.

Are there any particular building regulations I need to be aware of?

Reply to
Martin

Will it form part of any reasonable escape route, or hinder access to another? The balustrade should comply with Approved Document K1,2,3 i.e.. guarding should not be easily climbed by children, this basically means you need a vertical rather than horizontal infill. Minimum height 1100mm, preclude the passage of a 100mm sphere, strong enough to resist horizontal force of ?: it's in BS6399, but let's assume reasonably strong.

If you are planning a projection then construction should follow usual rules regarding supported loads etc.

Reply to
Toby

Many Thanks, The main aim is to provide a covered area beneath, where I can work outside; the original idea was a tri-wall plastic roof, but I'm nervous of the possibility of someone trying to gain access and falling through; I'd probably be liable even if someone was trying to break-in! A balcony would be safer, but would require a suitable secure door for access.

Reply to
Martin