BAC Windows and Doors - Bankrupt?

I have just ordered replacement double glazing from BAC (full name BAC Windows and Doors). After ordering I was told (admitedly by a rival firm) that BAC are forever going bankrupt and that I would probably loose all my money and that if I did get the windows fitted then any gaurantee would be worthless.

...I was a bit p#ssed off as I thought BAC had been trading for years and years, but a quick search at Companies House reveals that they were incorporated in 2002 - ie they have only existed for 2 years - and worryingly have traded under 3 different names so far this year!

I cant find out any info prior to 2002 - does anyone know how long this company (the previous company) traded for prior to 2002? Are BAC as unstable as this rival salesman suggests or am I worrying about nothing?

Has anyone needed to claim on a garantee for windows etc fitted prior to 2002?

Thanks

David Bevan

David

There are a few companies here. One is BAC Windows Ltd, 01541445, formed

26/01/1981.

The last set of accounts filed was dormant accounts to 3 January 1999. So they weren't trading at that point. The accounts for 2000, 2001, 2002 and

2003 are overdue.

The other one you found, at the same address is BAC Windows and Doors Ltd,

04530841, formed 10/09/2002.

They filed dormant accounts to 31 Dec 2003, so they weren't trading at that point.

Another is BAC Trade and Commercial Ltd, same address, 05026083, formed

26/01/2004.

No accounts due or filed yet.

There is a BAC Limited, different address close by, 04299718, formed

05/10/2001. Currently in administration. Previously known as BAC Double Glazing Limited.

This different address is their insolvency practitioners.

So, in summary, I think you do have cause for concern.

Reply to
Jonathan Bryce

This is how my bankrupt brother done it. He had a company Protectacoat Ltd which traded as C&R Windows. It had a multi million pound turnover selling Kommerling Windows which he bought from Speed Frame Limited in Rotherham. He also had a dormant limited company called C&R Windows Limited. When the first company folded with massive debts he tried changing everything over to C&R Windows Limited and continued trading with the same vehicles and staff and even the same building for a while until I made things so hot for him that he was made personally bankrupt together with his wife. At this point he transferred the company to his mates and changed its name to Dream Windows Limited and the begger is still running it too. smicker

Reply to
smicker

Good to see your vindictiveness didn't have too much of an effect on him

Reply to
Tone

If the OP was given any literature (verbal claims would be hard to prove) about 15 years in the business or whatever he might well have a case for TS to investigate.

Just in case anyone doesn't know this, for any limited company you can check the basic details for free at the Companies House website

. And with firms like this you need to make very sure which entity you are dealing with and make any cheque out to that exact company name - e.g. BAC Windows and Doors Ltd, not just BAC.

And out of idle curiosity I checked and Anglian Windows have been around since 1990 and have accounts filed up to date. Meanwhile Moben Kitchens is a non-trading company - so who are you really dealing with if you get talked into one of their special deals?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Tch. I expect he still has more money than you could dream of as well. Isn't there anything you could sue him for?

Reply to
Cynic

I have a BAC conservatory which needs warranty work. I eventually found BAC Ltd trading at Farringdon Road, Romford, Essex. Tel 01708 382200.

I spoke to a Colin Jupp there who said they had recently bought the BAC name but were not honouring any warranties. He offered to quote for a warranty repair "at cost price to build their customer database" if I wrote in with my request. I did this a week ago and still waiting to hear back.

Next stop NHBC.

Colin

Reply to
Colin M

Ive just been reading the small print in the contract and there are two articals of interest...

1) Insurance backed insolvency protection Which basically says that in the event of insolvency Ill get my deposit back, and if the windows are already fitted then ill still get a 10 year gaurantee.

...Is this worth the paper its written on? Or should I be more interested in the other clause.

2) 7 Day cooling off period Ie I can cancel within 7 days and take my business somewhere else. (but for the price the BAC product was better than the competition)

Thanks

David Bevan

Reply to
David

Depends on whether they've paid the insurance premium, I guess?

It does all sound pretty dodgy, but then I think most (if not all) companies in this field are similar, and you may end up on your own anyway. If you're happy with the product (and the way it's doing to fitted) then the main risk is losing your deposit. Hopefully you've paid a minimal amount (ideally by credit card) and won't have to pay the balance until completion.

Reply to
Rory

BAC have were bought by SEH to become SEH BAC their double glazing details can be found here

rpidigital

Do you think he still cares, 11 years later?

Reply to
Huge

I bought Double Glazing from them in 1993, it was good quality and cost an arm and a leg but when things have started to go on windows and doors i.e. handles and hinges and stormguard rubber wearing out it is difficult to get the same parts. I didn't buy UPVC like everyone else I bought South Afric an Hardwood.

Kind regards

Susan Cheshire

Reply to
suecheshire67

I expect much has changed in the 11 years that have passed since the posting you are replying to!

Reply to
Huge

This might also have been a clue.

Reply to
Davey

Yes it would indeed be interesting to know if such a company exists today, and how many times its been reborn if it does. My advice about guarantees for things like exterior coatings, double glazing etc, that are expected to last more than a couple of years is ask to see the guarantee and find out in writing who the underwriters of it are, as its basically insurance and has to be underwritten by a bona fide company to be worth very much in law.

At least then you stand a good chance at getting something fixed if the company dies and gets reborn leaving behind a load of worthless paper. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

A friend of mine used to be in the double glazing business and it seems a lot of the well known trading names were reborn every few years.

Reply to
alan_m

Having worked for BAC for a short period it became clear that things were n ot as they should be. Any discount agreed with a customer post he sale was taken off the sales person. They had a blame culture and we're always looki ng for someone else to pay. Not surprisingly I left had owed monies delayed in excess of three months when the company went under and then restarted w ith the same people in charge driving their expensive company cars and usin g a new trading name would trust them? Tricky. Yes I'm biased that they sti ll owe me about a grand but I figured that it was lost money and expensive knowledge gained which I pass on to you Gratis.

Reply to
john.cox808

back in 1989/91/92 I had all the windows & doors replaced by this company.Hardwood frames around aluminium windows & doors.Very expensive but first class workmanship.The downside is that this company has gone bankrupt & then re opened again many times since then.The main problem i have is that the door handles finally need replacing & no one does that size any more

Reply to
robert.jonesrfd

I got up one morning, opened the front door, saw no clouds in the sky so I went out for a walk. It rained. I got wet!

"this has noooothing to do with us....."

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Someone I know who who used to work in the double glazing industry told me that many (well known) companies went bust at regular intervals but the company names a customer lists were sold on quite quickly. Go bust on a Monday and the same named company was trading again on a Tuesday!

When I had my windows and doors replaced it was with a small local company who used the CPA for both the deposit and insurance based guarantee.

BTW, from experience I would be very suspicious of what a DG salesman tells you about a rival company when trying to make a sale.

Reply to
alan_m