Arrrggghhh!!

Make them pay the gas bill. They'll learn.

Reply to
mogga

Time for an automatic door closer?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Not if you epoxy it in place!! HA-HA!

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Yep, and I'd have to pay for it to be fitted the same day!

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Nice idea! Problem with that, for me, is that there's a batten the other side of the door...so unless I can modify the outer sausage to lift as the door closes...

But then why bother, when I can call upon the incredible, awesome powers of.....Envirodog!!

job is to train him to turn off lights without scratching the walls and to make a better cup of tea...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I tried putting her in detention for inattention, but that didn't work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The answer is nuclear energy. Or divorce.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tried that, It was removed before the glass was drained! You can't win!

Reply to
<me9

In message , Mr Sandman writes

The 'forgotten what it's called' wireless stat and rad valve system from Honeywell, claims to sense when the windows has been opened and to not open the valve

Reply to
chris French

It was tongue in cheek :-) In our house Spouse does all the machine sewing (I can but don't enjoy it and he does). I do all the hand sewing (he can etc. )

My point really was that there are some very silly attitudes to what is men's and women's work. And some even sillier generalisations - which have been expressed in this thread. I was delighted when we went to a place which made camping equipment. In the sewing room great hairy bikers with extravagant hairstyles and baldstyles were sitting at large industrial machines, surrounded by girlie calendars and pictures of Big Black Bikes. There were also polite and helpful, I've learned by several similar incidents that judgements based on appearance and gender say more about the judge than the judged.

I think you mean crochet - that's not a criticism - but yes, so can Spouse, ALL our children and grandchildren. there are more males than females in that number.

A son who went into the RAF was amazed when he started his first training, he was the only cadet who could iron his shirts and press his trousers. Even the girls couldn't. It's a dis-service to our children not to teach them the basics of Real Life. We made sure that by the time they were eight ours could do everything to survive - sewing, washing, cooking, breadmaking, cutting wood, drilling holes etc. We told them it was so that if we died they'd be able to look after themselves and not have to depend on others. It stood them in good stead.

So saying, he's just come in and asked if I knew where there's a spare anti surge gizmo. When I looked blank he commented that it was his department ... how are the mighty fallen :-)

Whatever turns you on :-)

We've done all our own upholstery, so that we get what we want and not what designers think we ought to have (and which thousands of other people have).

This IS a DIY group after all, we should be able to have exactly what we want by making it ourselves.

You should use a herringbone stitch. Or iron-on Vilene - the cheat's way but an excellent one. I used it very frequently when our children were at school.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

CM-zone.

Apparently it's designed to recognise sudden drops in temperature and assume they're due to a door or window being opened. I think it only applies the cutout for a limited time though and I'm not sure if it actually cuts the heat or just refuses to increase it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Surely everyone in the whole wide world dislikes a sweeping statement?

Right, back to thinking about kittens....

Reply to
Lino expert

Don't worry, I don't take offence easily :-)

So I am not on my own then.

A long time ago, I learned what you have just said. A lot of these hairy bikers reveal themselves as pussycats when you get to know them. I think the image of toughness came across the Atlantic from the days of the Hells Angels.

Point taken. My inability to spell is down to the fact that I spent as much time at home, as I did at school. My spelling is improving with the teacher that I have now. It is built into my text services on the computer. Its called a spell checker :-)

We had the same situation with our son, when he joined the navy. He was the only one to do that ironing. He was also the only one to put up a tent on excersises. The only problem was he didn't get the training he was supposed to get (HMS Invincible) and left the navy in disgust about

8 years later.

Agreed. My mother told me to how to do various things that have stood me in good stead. My wife is going to Australia for 3 months soon, so all I have been taught will keep me going

We made sure that by the time they were eight ours

Talking about drilling. As I said earlier, our son worked on a ship as an electrician. I was down at his house (this is where we get back onto DIY) moving some light switches. The were placed behind the door when you entered the room. I punched a brad awl from below to the roof space to let him know where the edge of the wall was and advised him to drill so many mm away from it. He unfortunately got it wrong.

I only found out when he asked for a longer drill. I assumed that he had hit a noggin and needed to drill deeper than I expected. When he said that he had run out of depth, I passed him a 300 mm long drill. He had only managed to drill straight down and parallel to the face of the plasterboard wall that I realized what was going on. For a novice that it un-believable.

As a life longer driller of holes, I doubt that I could have done that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I could easily program my home automation to do it -- it already does if the back or front doors are open for more than a minute.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for your interesting post.

Spouse won't let me hold an electric drill, he says I get power mad. There do seem to be a lot of (old) holes in the dining room floor from the last time I got one in my mitts.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Surely everyone in the whole wide world dislikes a sweeping statement?

I've said a million times that one shouldn't exaggerate.

Right, back to thinking about kittens....

Bleurch. Leather (pre-war hide, not your WoL soft stuff) shredders :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm not allowed to think about leather, it gets me in to trouble and they try to withdraw my privileges...

Reply to
Lino expert

Lock 'em and hide the key ?

Reply to
Mat C

I'm not allowed to think about leather, it gets me in to trouble and they try to withdraw my privileges...

Is lino an acceptable substitute?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is it heck as like, there IS only one substitute...but that cannot be named *swirls cape*...

Reply to
Lino expert