Arrrggghhh!!

Oooooooooooooooooooooo :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, a spiel chucker. Wonder if I can find that poem...

Owed to a Spell Chequer

I halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea It plane lee marques four my revue Miss steaks aye ken knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it Your sure reel glad two no It's vary polished in it's weigh My chequer tolled me sew

A chequer is a bless sing It freeze yew lodes of thyme It helps me awl stiles two reed And aides mi when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud And wee mussed dew the best wee can Sew flaws are knot aloud And now bee cause my spelling is checked with such grate flare Their are know faults with in my cite Of nun eye am a wear Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed to be a joule The chequer poured o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule That's why aye brake in two averse My righting wants too pleas Sow now ewe sea wye aye dew prays Such soft wear for pea seas

I notice that mine has flagged "chucker", "mussed" and "wye". I suppose the last is a proper name. I did see something that pointed out you don't want all possible words in it - for example, when you type baht you probably mis-typed "bath" and are not referring to the currency of Thailand.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I reckon it's something very basic indeed in the female psyche. She not "girly" in most things and she can grow a better moustache than many men, but she still can't see the relationship between windows and doors being open and wasting fuel.

Reply to
Appin

I reckon that it must be something in your psyche, not being able to explain your problem.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I think you're missing the point.

  1. Break-on- rise thermostats have been common in domestic applications for many decades

  1. Use of tbermostats is a fairly low-level skill important for making use of many basic domestic appliances and other equipment

  2. It should not require my intervention to explain the function or practical use of a thermostat, so my ability or otherwise to explain how to use one shouldn't have to come into the question anyway

  1. Difficulty in understanding thermostat function seems to be much more common in females than in males

  2. The female I selected to illustrate the problem is not a very "girly" type. The fact that from puberty she's had moustache growth heavier than many males should indicate that she's more likely than most females to have a brain which has developed along lines closer to a male, testosterone-influenced, brain

  1. In spite of the testosterone influence she still can't make any practical sense of the operation of a thermostat. There would appear to be a reasoning problem of some sort which affects not just many females, but even those whose brains one might have expected to be somewhat more male-like in reasoning processes.

Reply to
Appin

You seem to be linking a moustache with understanding.

Hmm.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Who could deny the obvious, all-encompassing knowledge possessed by The Chuckle Brothers.

Anyway, basically surely the fact is that some women understand the concept, some don't, some men understand the concept, some don't...as is the case in many things.

Ommmmm.

Reply to
Lino expert

You're so wise ... even with the leather ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Obviously a fallacious viewpoint, since yours hasn't conferred an iota of understanding.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Read it more carefully.

Difficulty in understanding that open doors, windows etc. will cause thermostats to call for more heat and therefore drive up the fuel bill seems to be more common among women.

It is no doubt true of some men. It is not necessarily true of all women. It is nonetheless true that there is some correlation between gender and difficulty in comprehending the point.

One of the things one might look for is whether women who show evidence of historic and currrent high testosterone levels and could therefore be expected to have more "male-type" brains hehave like males in this particular area of reasoning. No-one's talking about understanding in general, but reasoning in this particular area.

The ability to grow a moustache from puberty is an indication of testosterone exposure which would be expected to lead to a male-type brain,

On the basis of the (statistically-invalid) sample (of one!) it doesn't seem to have made a whit of difference -- she reasons, on this matter, as most other women do.

The overall understanding and reasoning powers of the said wife are not in the least impaired by the fact of her need to use a Philishave every morning.

Reply to
Appin

I don't believe that this statement reflects anything more than your own experience, you can't possibly know about all other women. The supporting opinions from other men on this ng are insufficient.

Insufficient evidence.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Of course it reflects more than my own experience -- I wasn't the first or the second to make the point. It reflects the experience of many of us, however varied our wives may be.

I think you're in a minority on this issue. It's you against the weight of evidence thus-far adduced.

But I suspect that nothing would be sufficient to convince you :-)

On the other hand, it would probably convince a reasonable individual :-)

Reply to
Appin

The message from Appin contains these words:

ISTM that there is a widespread view that men and woman tend to have different strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps the most widely observed of these are that woman can multitask (talk, read and knit all at the same time) much better than men but have a poor spatial awareness (can't reverse a car nor navigate generally).

There are of course exceptions to these stereotypes but the One Show (IIRC) on BBC1 a few weeks ago had an interesting take on the subject. The argument there was that the differences are down to the level of exposure to testosterone in the womb and the so called male and female brains are by no means confined to their actual gender. A simple test is apparently all it takes to establish the gender of your brain and the test, rather bizarrely is the ratio between the lengths of your index and ring fingers. Ring finger longer than index - male, shorter female. The more pronounced the difference the more skewed the persons abilities.

Reply to
Roger

The message from Roger contains these words:

Very well expressed, and as you indicate, the "digit ratio" (the ratio of the length of the ring finger to the length of the index finger) is a very good indication of an individual who has had a high exposure to testoterone in the critical first three months of foetal life while the brain is developing (and in which, it so happens, relative finger length, which is also testosterone-dependent) is also being determined. Other things are also determined during this critical period, including the sensitising of the skin in certain areas of the body so that it is capable of responding to later testosterone stimulation if that should happen to occur.

As you say, "male" and "female" brains -- and other characteristics -- don't necessarily correspond 100% to an individual's sex.

Of course, this is a piece of folk-wisdom which has been known all over the world for many centuries. Why do you think that wedding rings are worn on the fourth finger of, depending on the country, one hand or the other? Because it's easy to see, looking at that hand, whether that digit is longer than the index finger. And that in trun is a predictor of relative fertility. A female with longer ring fingers is likely to be less fertile becausae she is likely to have a higher testosterone:estrogen ratio but if she does have children there is likely to be a preponderance of boys.

As with all these things there are a lot of ifs and buts and maybes. High testosterone in the first three months of fetal life doesn't necessarily mean that it will be followed by high testosterone levels in later life -- but the chances that it will are much higher than for a female without such fetal exposure.

It's when there's high actual exposure to testosterone in later life, from puberty onwards, that you see the difference between those who have been sensitised by early exposure and those who haven't. High exposure of those who haven't been sensitised in early foetal life will have relatively little effect. Exposure to the same high levels of testosterone of those who have been sensitised in early fetal life will result in the development of characteristics more typical of males -- moustache growth, more body hair, restricted breast development, deepening voice etc.

Which was really the point I was making -- even a woman (who in fact has the longer ring fingers) with enough obvious testosterone influence on her brain and body to produce moustache growth on a male scale and has certainly had her brain masculinised to some extent STILL hasn't had her brain masculinised enough to get her reasoning with regard to thermostats etc. straight. It must require even more masculinisation to make that reasoning a probability, so it must be a VERY male thing.

Reply to
Appin

In message , Appin writes

Oh really! Please explain the mechanism that would make that the case.

Reply to
Si

Apparently AIANABS (1) this is to do with the two halves of the brain, the left half being the logical, rational bit and the right half being the intuitive, artistic half. The two are connected by the Corpus Callosum.

Again apparently in men a large amount of info is processed on one side & sent over as a batch, but in females the information is constantly fed back & forth in small amounts.

This explains why men can focus solely on one thing and women can multi task.

(1) And I am not a brain surgeon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The CC is also thicker in women, the theory being that this improves information transfer between the sides. It may also be responsible for the increased right/left confusion often observed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You are a wise man Bob :-)

Reply to