Arrrggghhh!!

Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open? With the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold and turns up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Any ideas on a gadget that turns the CH off if windows are open?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Mr Sandman :-)

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Or lights that turn themselves off.

In my single days, I laughed once, returned from a business trip abroad with a colleague when, directing the taxi late one Friday night, he said "that house over there, the one with all the lights blazing."

Now that I'm married, and still have the occasional business trip, I use pretty much the same description.

When quizzed, "oh, the house feels more lived in with the lights on, when you're away".

Bloody women.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

In our house it's the other way round. Grand daughter and I turn lights off when we leave a room unless it's occupied. Guess who leaves them on?

Right in one. Spouse.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Short of carrying out a poll on this topic, I'm afraid, Mary, that my vote goes with it being a trait of the ladies.

I transferred the phone bill some years ago to my good lady and I think I should do the same with the heating and electricity bills - I'm sure I would take it in good grace any comment about the workshop light being on unlike the abuse I get when I complain about the bathroom light being left on AGAIN ! Rant over !

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In article , robgraham writes

Swap the bathroom light to an 8W energy saver, that'll teach 'er . . .

Reply to
fred

I'm inclined to agree. We have no central heating, so the front room is warmed with a cosy open fire - but there's a hell of draught that comes in under the door to the hallway, so we use a 'sausage' draught excluder. The kids have no problem putting it back, nor do I - but the wife just doesn't seem to grasp the concept. I suggested velcroing it to the door - but this idea was nixed...and I haven't yet found a screw-on excluder that does the job.

I have semi-solved the problem though. I tried to train my sheepdog to push the excluder back....but he kind of missed the point and took to lying down at the door. Result!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I blame the education system - women (in general) were not (and it appears still are not) encouraged in their early years to have awareness of physical/scientific concepts. My better half, for instance, is simply unable to understand how a TRV works and simply turns it to Max when the room is too cool for her.

Reply to
Si

I saw a highly clever draught excluder in someones house recently. Two tubes, each the width of the door joined by a strip of fabric.

O_______O

It moved with the opening & closing of the door.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Take the fuse out on the boiler, and see how long it takes them to check the windows are shut - I reckon it'll take less than 30 minute :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

They were in my day - that is in grammar schools they were. Gosh, we even did maths, physics, Chemistry and biology to A level and had several State Scholarships in the subjects every year.

Oxford and Cambridge were no problem either because most girls were taught Latin and some Greek.

Then you're a lousy teacher.

Right?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Problem is... it'd take only 10 minutes for the whine... "Steve!,.... the boiler's not working...."

Reply to
Mike Dodd

And then Steve would rush (albeit complaining) to solve the problem.

I blame the husbands and/or parents.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come back to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp why the kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Ah! My good lady saw those and suggested we try them :

That link may break. Try the Scotts of Stow site, and search for draught.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Clearly. :)

I'd welcome your suggestions.

Reply to
Si

In message , Mary Fisher writes

For being too responsive? !!!

Reply to
Si

So explain it to her!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm not a teacher - but I thought you were involved in a way in education ...

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For responding in an inappropriate manner :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher