Daughters Washing machine update

Finally got around to No2 daughters to look at errant washing machine, whipped the lid off, trusty can of WD40 at the ready.

I'm no electrician, but IMO this item is FUBER. Obvious tracks of water.

label reads;

D.E.M. FLCH 446000

1uF +/- 20% + 2 x 27nF (Y2) + 2 x 2mH +0.33m (ohms sign) HMF 25/100/21

Google finds the D.E.M. site but a search within finds nowt. General Google search finds nowt either.

I'm guessing it's some kind of capacitor? If I knew what it was called I might be able to trace one - or is it a standard component I could buy from Maplin or similar?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

machine,

> The label reads;

General Google

Looks like a supression filter. Probably on the mains input to stop the machine putting too much electrical noise back up tt's power lead to meet some EU fanciful specification. Just possibly it protects the internal electronics of the timer from noise coming in on the mains lead, but I doubt it. The 1 microfarad knocks the lower frequencies, the 27 nanafarad deals with the higher frequencies, both in cohorts with the 2 millihenry chokes as a pi filter, and the 330 kilo ohm resistor discharges the 1 microfarad capacitor to stop the punter getting a shock from the mains plug when disconnected.

I'd expect it to have live & neutral in and lives & neutral out with an earth, I'd also expect the machine to work without it for test purposes. The 1 microfarad has probably broken down and over heated and blown a fuse somewhere as it will be across the mains.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Where was this, both physically within the machine and electrically? How about an in-focus photo of the label?

Anyway it's a bit more complex than a cap. It looks to me to be an assembly of 3 caps and 2 inductors and possibly a resistor. Is there a mini-circuit diagram on the label?

You might also try stating the make and model of the machine as someone here might have useful info from that angle.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Yup - mains input filter.

The one on my oscilloscope died in spectacular fashion (smoke and smells) recently.

Simple to swap and replace. Make sure the new one has a suitable curent rating.

Good news is that it's unlikely to have done any other damage.

Reply to
RubberBiker

The Medway Handyman has brought this to us :

Maplins yes, but that looks like a suppression or filter unit. Trace the cables and you will probably find that one side goes back to the mains flex with the 13amp plug on its other end. The machine could be made to work without it, but for the sake of your neighbours, best to source a replacement.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd agree, and certainly temporarily I'd be tempted to bypass the device by connecting the 2 neutrals together, and the two lives together. It's unlikely that any damage would result, especially if there's another appliance with a similar device plugged into the trailing socket!

If you're feeling rich then one these might do, although the values of capacitance are lower.

I would have thought any domestic appliance repair outlet would have a supply of this type of suppression device.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks Andrew. It was indeed wired exactly as you say, but had two neutrals going out - or at least two blue wires.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Top corner, terminals facing up, right under the lid. Dishwasher (table top type) was stacked on top with inlet/outlet right above. Dishwasher has leaked - obvious stains to lid of WM.

Electrically clockwise from bracket (which is earth) N in, N out, L out, L in.

There is, but it been wet & is difficult to make out. This photo isn't much better

> You might also try stating the make and model of the machine as

Hotpoint HNL 6146

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

:-) but this site has a picture (you can zoom to read the label) £9.49 +postage

on ebay as well -item number 350104599801 (about £11.50 inc postage) Ebay also sell cameras.

Reply to
Geo

Top man, ordered - thank you very much.

Got a Vivicam 5024 but took those on my elderly Nokia.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Mains filter - should be reasonably easily available, if not give me a ring, I'll get one for you

Reply to
geoff

Mains filter. You can use one out of or intended for any washing machine.

NT

Reply to
NT

Really?

- My beautiful picture Make - ViviCam Model - V5024 =02=C5=BE=10=02 Orientation - Top left YResolution - 180 ResolutionUnit - Inch Software - 1310DT2JSMI3120VT005 DateTime - 2009:03:26 12:10:32

Need I go on?

Reply to
Part timer

Not really, unless you have f*ck all better to do.

The two links in the post you refer to were taken on my Nokia, the third photo was taken on the Vivicam.

Get a life.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Does your vivicam have a macro mode? Many cameras have one, often selectable using a little picture of a tulip. It's what you should use when taking close-ups like you've done in this thread.

If you don't have a macro mode, take the photo from further away - you've got a habit of posting out of focus pictures, and a smaller but in focus one would be a lot better. Also check the picture on the little screen, if necessary zooming in. That'll give you instant feedback so you can have another go at getting a picture which isn't a blurry mess.

Reply to
Clive George

IME the little screen is too little to tell you whether a shot is in focus. The little beep or little green light when half squeezing the shutter is a better guide

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you phone CPC they stock spare for all sorts of white goods they don't include in the catalogue. So they may be able to get the exact part given the name/model of the machine and its serial number.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe I've got a better camera - if I've taken a photo where I wasn't sure of the focus (closeup of something moving for example), zooming in on the image has shown if it's in focus or not. But yeah, seeing if the the camera thinks it's got focus is also a good idea :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Dave Osborne