Ariston microGENUS HE combi-boiler any good?

Hi all, just wonder if the microGENUS HE 24 as seen at

is generally a decent enough combi to replace my dead Saunier Duval Thelia 623?

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

I have had the non-condensing Microgenus for about 4 years and it has been faultless. I bought it as it was the smallest cased combi at the time. It was well specced and the components were standard used in many boilers. It wasn't cheap at the time, being Vaillant price.

The new "condensing" Microgenus has a secondary heat exchanger so avoid it. "by incorporating an additional latent heat exchanger or recuperator". Get one with a one piece heat exchanger. Vaillants are good as are Glow Worm and Worcester-Bosch. 24kW is a low flowrate. I would go for a higher flowrate boiler as it is worth paying the extra.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We've always found these to be very good, and Ariston's warranty support is excellent. We've now switched to using the Ariston ACO series, as they are more efficient and come with a 5 year warranty.

Andrew

Reply to
auctions

You bought for yourself a non-condensing boiler only 4 years ago? Is there no end to your hypocrisy?

Ah - I forgot you lived in a rabbit hutch in MK

So a bit of a rip off if it uses standard components?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What does it say above?

Only a uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association (affiliated) member would say that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Given your continual harping on about energy saving to others, you're the obvious lunatic. Or, as I said, hypocrite.

Collins GEM English Dictionary hypocrisy [hip-ok-rass-ee] n., pl. -sies. (instance of) pretence of having standards or beliefs that are contrary to one's real character or actual behaviour. ?hypocrite [hip-oh-krit] n. person who pretends to be what he or she is not. ?hypocritical adj. ?hypocritically adv.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unbelievable. He puts high pressure sink taps on a low pressure system then put a pump on the get one tap to work. A pump for one tap!!!!! Now he is an expert on boilers. ROFLMAO. Hilarious.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have one and have installed a number. I have had a couple of faults with the condense sensor but Ariston have been extremely quick with their callouts ( 10 mins with one ) History shows that the parts are quite reasonable. However I have noticed that the water temperature does not seem to be that brilliant and have recently changed to installing the Main 30he ( baxi potterton ) and found them very very good. I have no idea as to their parts or call out times but the differance was so noticeable with the hot water and also how quiet the boiler was running. There must be a downside somewhere but have not found it as yet and am into double figures with installations

Reply to
IAN CAPEL

Good grief. Another dribble supporter. At least you'll only need a motorbike on your annual outing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Explain how you would get round the problem?

What have taps got to do with boilers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would have found out the right taps to use and put the proper taps on in the first place. I don't think I would have thought of fitting a pump on one tap in a million years.

Reply to
timegoesby

I looked at the Baxi/Pott 133 HE. It has a high flowrate and Dr Drivel mentioned it has an integral flowswitch which means TRVs on all rads. Simple and easy to install and well priced. I am not sure of the guarantee. It looks good on paper. Ian, have you any experience of the

133? I have seen a Microgenus (28kW?), the bigger model, in a flat and that was OK in flow. It has a keep warm mode to keep the heater warm to lessen the lag at the taps. I was impressed by the small size at the time. An Ideal model is quite small as is the W-B Junior, which I used two of on one job joining the DHW outlets. I like to use Bosch if I can as it means quality to the buyer and inspires confidence.

I concur. A weird world with pumps on single taps. Sensible, decent, informative threads turn to shit when this tosspot joins in with antagonistic abuse. I Google a lot for information, and 9 times out of

10 when he joins in a thread it is turned to shit. This is threads going back 2, 3, 5, 6 , 8 years back. The same tack each time. I, and a few others over the years have tried to get him to stop. It make not difference, he ignored us all, he always does. He is an obsessive in some way with a lot of time on his hands.
Reply to
timegoesby

Ian, complaining to his ISP may make a difference. Give it a go.

Reply to
timegoesby

Couldn't find any I liked. Most - if not all - taps of that type are high pressure these days.

But you do up houses for profit, so I'd not expect you to spend money on something like that as the flow would have been quite acceptable to someone used to a cheap combi. I wanted something better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't porkie tell. You put the wrong taps in, in the first place. You didn't know the difference.

He said, "I don't think I would have thought of fitting a pump on one tap in a million years." Neither would anyone else.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
IAN CAPEL

I bought the one I wanted without even thinking about it. I did assume with 15mm tails it would be low pressure, though.

You'd likely just have fitted the cheapest tap to go with the cheap combi you've just admitted to having.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because you didn't know the difference, which is funny enough, then he puts a pump on one tap to make it work, which hilarious.

ROFLMAO

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have had a Microgenus (non-condensing) for 4 years. You say water temperature is not brilliant. What do you mean? I have not found that a problem. It is quite easy to work on if need be; well laid out. An the heat exchanger slides out and looks like a 15 minute job to replace.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please explain how you tell the difference?

You're easily amused.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)