Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders) which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

Reply to
Chris Green

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only drained when the button is pushed.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for because, IMO, that is probably the worst idea I've ever heard for running something as simple as a doorbell. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

passive door push

bell and transformer

They are wired, but you said you didn't mind too much. The big benefit with wired mains doorbells is they just work for years and years and years.....

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

I have a good old "ding-ding" chime, with illuminated push button and CU mounted transformer, don't know if there's an easy way to piggy-back additional sounders off it though.

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being flat?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I got a mains doorbell because I got fed up with the wireless bell pushes packing up I had about four go intermitant or simply packed up completely. The mains one (including the wired bell push) has been faultless.

Reply to
Bod

Added to that, on random occasions the wireless doorbell push would ring when nobody was there. I assume that it was getting a stray signal from somewhere.

Reply to
Bod

Yes, but they fail without much warning. Not hearing the bell isn't a very good indicator of a failed battery.

Reply to
Chris Green

Just to be clear, the wireless bell push powered off the mains idea. ;-)

Plenty of cheap wired bells available and bell transformers if you want a push that lights up.

As has been mentioned, battery bells will last for years on a single set of batteries.

Reply to
Tim+

Doorbells used to use massive batteries decades ago. Those lasted many years, basically shelf life. Now that they use tiny AAs or similar of course they don't last well.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When I were a lad, circa 1950, our house had a battery operated doorbell. Several large Leclanché cells (about the size of Kilner jars used for preserving fruit etc) in glass jars in series in a cupboard under the stairs, like this

. Never went flat and lasted for ever; might still be there FAIK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You can buy a door bell transformer that fits in one of the ways in your co nsumer unit instead of a MCB.

Eg:-

harry

Probably because it's a wireless bell. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On my wireless door bell, when the batteries in the bell push are starting to go flat the chime unit still sounds the main chime but follows it with a couple of loud warning beeps.

Reply to
alan_m

I've been told car keyfobs can set them off. Plus you've got neighbours' doorbells.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My doorbell was here when I moved in in 2000. It uses 4AA batteries. Alkalines last about 7-10 years.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I find 50% of wireless bells take 1-3 seconds to transmit, by which time you've not heard them and assumed they're broken, then knock. I even had one ring after someone answered the door!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mine goes off-key if the batteries are low.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Where I used to live the bellpush broke, so I left the two wires dangling. You could connect them to ring the bell. Trouble was, you got the kickback voltage of the solenoid used to chime the xylophone notes :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:24:23 -0000, harry w= rote:

ur consumer unit instead of a MCB.

If you happen to have that style of CU.

-- =

O'Hare Approach Control to a 747: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a F= okker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound." United 239: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this... I've got the li= ttle Fokker in sight."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword