Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders) which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would be easier.
Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.
--
Chris Green
·

On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only drained when the button is pushed.
Cheers
--
Clive

Clive Arthur wrote:

I have a good old "ding-ding" chime, with illuminated push button and CU mounted transformer, don't know if there's an easy way to piggy-back additional sounders off it though.
<https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Chimes/Fixedchimes/Pages/D117.aspx > it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being flat?
On Monday, 12 December 2016 17:53:20 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Doorbell

Doorbells used to use massive batteries decades ago. Those lasted many years, basically shelf life. Now that they use tiny AAs or similar of course they don't last well.
NT

My doorbell was here when I moved in in 2000. It uses 4AA batteries. Alkalines last about 7-10 years.
--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - New life"

My computer is spying on me. I just got this recommendation in Ebay, I guess you could make a doorbell out of it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Synth-Kit-/112233746279
--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - New life"

When I were a lad, circa 1950, our house had a battery operated doorbell. Several large Leclanché cells (about the size of Kilner jars used for preserving fruit etc) in glass jars in series in a cupboard under the stairs, like this http://tinyurl.com/hnhwf7o . Never went flat and lasted for ever; might still be there FAIK.
--

Chris

Probably because it's a wireless bell. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

I find 50% of wireless bells take 1-3 seconds to transmit, by which time you've not heard them and assumed they're broken, then knock. I even had one ring after someone answered the door!
--
In a recent survey 40% found they didn't have time to answer the
question, 25% hung up the phone when the question was being
On 12/12/2016 17:53, Andy Burns wrote:

Don't know... Perhaps people never replace the batteries.
I installed one about 8 years ago. Still going strong on its first battery.
--
Cheers,

John.

Very true.
I also looked at the latest 'bells' in the TLC catalogue after reading this thread. And it seems many light up when ringing. So must be designed for a bedsit? No wonder people can't hear them ring.
--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Best thing to do is to look for the room with the TV in it and bang on the window. Even if people hear the doorbell they think it's part of the TV program. If you can hear a hoover, forget it.
--
A man was sunbathing naked at the beach.
For the sake of decency and civility, and to keep it from getting sunburnt, he had a hat over his private parts.

Yes, but they fail without much warning. Not hearing the bell isn't a very good indicator of a failed battery.
--
Chris Green
·

On 12/12/2016 18:04, Chris Green wrote:

On my wireless door bell, when the batteries in the bell push are starting to go flat the chime unit still sounds the main chime but follows it with a couple of loud warning beeps.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Mine goes off-key if the batteries are low.
--
My wife was hinting about what she wanted for our upcoming anniversary. She said, 'I want something shiny that goes from 0 to 150 in about 3 seconds.'
So I bought her a set of scales.
On 12/12/2016 18:04, Chris Green wrote:

Certainly mine fails without warning, but never because of the bell push battery which has been there for many years. It's always the bell sounder unit batteries, as they are draining in receive mode all the time.
Cheers
--
Clive

I thought the sounder was always plugged in?
--
The greatest distance attained for a jet of semen that has ever been recorded is 18'9" (5.71 m) which was achieved with a "substantial" amount of seminal fluid by Horst Schultz.

On 12/12/2016 17:38, Clive Arthur wrote:

Why the fear of battery powered components? They work well enough and run for almost as long as the shelf life.

Moreover the modern piezo sounders are highly efficient and loud unlike the old prehistoric 2A solenoid soft iron ding-dong things from way back. The other advantage is that you can go wireless and/or have a choice of tunes for different bell pushes.
Unless you need a continuously lit bell push then mains bell setups are no longer really worth it (and even then current drain can be kept low enough that a set of D batteries will last ~5000hr = 200 days).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Its not fear, its preference.

But mains powered bells work for a lot longer than that.

Just as true of mains powered ones.

Mains powered ones last a hell of a lot longer than that without any owner action.
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 08:44:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Not if there's a power cut. ;-)
Actually one of our student groups has a solar panle which charged up the batts for a doorbell and using a switch on a letter box it could also email when anything came through the letter box. (not that I coudl think of a good reason to do that but..)
I don't have that problem I don't have a doorbell I get people to knock.

But you'd need a UPS :)

That's true the one I did at my parents stil works after 32+ years. 12V transformer, push switch and a couple of large black bell units.