Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 08:20:35 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the required volume. Old mechanicals do.
NT
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:05:08 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Piezos and other electronic sounders have just about replaced conventional bells in fire alarm systems due to low current requirement enabling more sounders to be used, for uniform volume coverage.
Owain
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:29:25 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

like everything it's because they're cheaper. They're used differently in doorbells and can't produce similar volume levels.
NT

Piezo sounders tend to be tuned to a particular highish frequency for best efficiency. Perhaps ideal for an alarm, but not sure I'd like that nasty noise as a door bell.
Other thing is of course they're much cheaper to make than a decent bell.
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The beat frequency you get when multiple sounders are e.g. on each floor of a staircase, seem to be set to the resonant frequency of a skull, for maximum annoyance while you're trooping down to the fire-exit

A former colleague mouted a 12" loudspeaker on the stairwqll ceiling. OPeating the bell push triggered a tape loop of the Westminster Chimes. You heard them even when in the garden!
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 13:04:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I agree with that, horrible screeching noise great for alarms but...
I;'ve had a plan for years for a speech doorbell, simple enough really just havn;t got around to it. I'd use phrase like southparks, "hey dude vistors" (from cartmen gets an anal probe)
or aliens the young girl "They mostly come at night, mostly"
Now coupled that with some sort of recognition of the bell ringer, and I could include obsenities ... JWs. Father Jacks, Feck, Arse, girls.
I'm sure others could come up with interesting ones.
On 13/12/2016 13:20, whisky-dave wrote:

You can get ones that you record your voice/music or whatever. I had one, but it ate batteries. 10 secs of recording time. Good fun though.
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 14:58:59 UTC, Bod wrote:

I do have one as a kit somewhere never put it together. it only has 1 speaker I wanted a dul asystem but as my front door is on the ground floor and my lounge 1st floor there wasn;t an easy cable run other than along the stairs and through the door, so I'm waiting for an IoT version so it.s true wireless. I do know they use quite a bit of power even when not being pressed, so that was anothe rreason not to bother as I;d need to power it at the door or have yet more cables along the wall.

Piezo speakers can be made to do a range of sounds and tunes and are plenty loud enough for a domestic dwelling. It isn't hifi but neither is it just a manky fire alarm klaxon. Flash mode too for totally deaf.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Think you mean a limited range of tunes. They are simply a version of a loudspeaker and have to conform to the same rules as those.

Depends on the dwelling.

Your fire alarm sounds as often as your doorbell? There must be a gag in there somewhere.

So you have to position the unit were it can be seen at all times? Very convenient, that.
--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

My doorbell uses a small paper cone 2" speaker. It's as loud as a mechanical chime and lasts the lifetime of the 4 AA Duracells.
--
Would you like to join me in a drink?
Do you think we'll both fit?

They are plenty loud enough even for the chronically deaf. This one which I chose for my parents flashes brightly as well for good measure. It is still on its original set of batteries after three years.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I got it for them because they couldn't hear the old ding dong one!
Only weakness is IP44 rated door switch which is OK in a sheltered spot but would be useless where I live with penetrating rain and snow.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 15:49:00 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

In a lot of houses, people often fail to hear piezos. They'd be far from reliable here. Yours may be different.
NT

It will obviously depend on the house design and if say you tend to have a radio on etc all day.
I have two underdome bells driven from a transformer. Can be heard all over the house easily - and also from the front door when you ring the bell. Which gives a visitor the reassurance it is working.
--
*Husbands should come with instructions

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for because, IMO, that is probably the worst idea I've ever heard for running something as simple as a doorbell. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 12/12/2016 17:48, Tim+ wrote:

I got a mains doorbell because I got fed up with the wireless bell pushes packing up I had about four go intermitant or simply packed up completely. The mains one (including the wired bell push) has been faultless.
On 12/12/2016 17:55, Bod wrote:

Added to that, on random occasions the wireless doorbell push would ring when nobody was there. I assume that it was getting a stray signal from somewhere.

I've been told car keyfobs can set them off. Plus you've got neighbours' doorbells.
--
In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.
In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.

Other thing that some may not care about is an ordinary bell push can be found in a variety of designs including say flush polished brass or chrome. Rather than those horrible plastic surface mount things I see everywhere. I find it strange to see a front door with expensive door furniture but a cheap and nasty plastic wireless push just plonked on the architrave.
--
*PMS jokes aren't funny; period.*