Anyone using "The Oil Club?"

Hi All,

Has anyone mjoined and used The Oil Club

in order to get better pricing on thier heating oil?

It looks good, and I have signed up, just wanted to know if there are any Gotchas before I commit to a delivery.

TIA

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes

You a village club then?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Well, I run a 3-village Syndicate, in fact I organised a delivery for about 44,500 litres just yesterday. I have never heard of "The Oil Club", and yet our village is listed on their website as part of their membership. On that basis, I would treat them with great care.

Reply to
Davey

May be some one not part of your syndicate has joined and registered your village?

Also the registered address (when you can find it) is 29 Harley Street, London, W1G 9QR. Office space there doesn't come cheap, mail drop address? They do seem rather coy about who and where they are.

I've not looked through the information in detail but I got the impression that you placed an order then waited until your "village" had enough orders to make a delivery run worth while. In the meantime you might have run out of oil...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm a bit suspicious that you have to jump through some hoops before you actually find out what the price is.

I've looked at another such discount scheme, eventually found their price, and then found it was 2p/litre more expensive than my existing local supplier (SS Motors, Cambridgeshire).

The best bet I've found is to use an heating oil price monitoring site (e.g

)- and they try to buy my annual

1000 litres on the annual minima (usually in May/June).

Picking a good date to purchase (and having the tank capacity for a year's supply) is IMO the better saving than having to accept delivery when your neighbours are buying (i.e. late Autumn, as the price climbs)

Reply to
dom

Wonder if

THE OIL CLUB LIMITED

is related to the dissolved (in 2010)

OIL CLUB (UK) LIMITED

Reply to
The Other Mike

Oooh, you're a distrustful lot! I am very glad I asked.

I also spotted something about some of their suppliers maybe adding a CC charge, so if I had gone ahead, it might well have cost me the same (or more) after that. I might have a look at Boilerjuice.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Interesting. Looks like the one set up recently in the next door village is one of these with the above outfit. Whereas the one in our old village (going since early 90s and perhaps before), was just run by villagers, one of whom took it upon themselves to ring round for the best deal once everyone had indicated how much they wanted. All deliveries remained between the chosen supplier and the recipient.

But whoever you go to might well add a CC charge.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If I remember correctly, there was a thread here recently about Boilerjuice, and nobody appeared to have used them, as they were more expensive than other methods of buying.

Form your own local Syndicate, if one doesn't exist already. Suppliers love it when I say I have an order for more than 44,000 litres, and that's just for three villages.

Reply to
Davey

I never had a price from Boilerjuice that was competative with local suppliers, normally around 2p/l more.

Best bet if there isn't a local syndicate or don't want to form one(*) is to ring round the local suppliers and see what prices they offer. Bear in mind that an awful lot of seemingly independant companies are now all owned by GB Oils. If the companies have web sites look closely for who they are owned by or if they are truely independant.

A nearby independant is likely to give you the best price.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Exactly the price differential I found.

Reply to
dom

ISTR reading (poss off the other recent thread) that the OFT were looking/looked into "Boiler jiz" & other alleged comparison sites asto who owned them - mainly oil companies?!

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

'taws mentioned in there and a few links to rulings.

Think it was more down to them appearing to be comparison sites but in reality not being but TBH when you only get one price quoted at you how you can make that mistake I'm not quite sure. Agreed I think there were a few commenst about the various sites "independance" both from suppliers and from each other.

Do any of ten main stream comparison sites do dometic heating oil? I guess not as the price varies day by day and it would be hard to maintain the database and get customers the price quoted.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice