Cleaning an oil stone

My oil stone is getting really filthy and slimy, but I'm reluctant to buy new, if I could say restore it to a level where it's useable.

I surfed and came up with the following. I'm happy to boil on the oven-top or pop into the dishwasher:

  1. Anyone tried either method?

  1. My dad always used 3 in 1 on his oilstone, is there anything better nowadays? TIA

Reply to
Norbert Thistlethwaite

My 1956 manual "Woodworking tools and how to use them" by Alfred P Morgan says

"When a stone becomes gummy or clogged up it can be reconditioned by heating it in an oven. Place the stone in a shallow pan. Put two big nails under the stone so that it is kept above the bottom of the pan thus avoiding contact with the oil and dirt which the heat will bring out. The oven should not be hot enough to evaporate the oil which oozes out, Wipe the stone dry while is is still hot"

This might need less SWMBO negotiation - you can line the pan with foil.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Detergent and warm water gets rid of most of the crap.

Reply to
Ericp

Thanks Andy, I'll try Ericp's method of detergent and water, to get the worst off, then I'll nuke it in a warm oven.

Reply to
Norbert Thistlethwaite

used the bake in teh oven method - worked fine

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thanks for letting us know.

What temperature?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I got advised so long ago that I cannot remember who, when or where, to use paraffin rather than oil. It doesn't clog the stone particularly if you wipe off the residue after sharpening. Paraffin is of course just a very thin oil and works perfectly well for sharpening.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Or water?

(That was an easy grab link - there might be many better ones.)

Reply to
polygonum

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner fill it with paraffin and put it in that. Failing that simply soak in a paraffin bath and lightly scrub with a wire brush or steel wool pad every day for a week.

Reply to
Peter Parry