Any experience of "Faithfull" wood chisels and gouges.

The string of characters usually after the "watch?v=" is all you need, e.g.

also

where in both cases the "x" replaces the jumble of keywords they want search engines to see.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In general, on any link the text after ? is part of a form submission not part of a URL, separated into key=value sections by &. So you can try trimming the parts after that. For example:

works just as well when truncated to:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes, it's probably a bit too weedy (unless you were using Lime!)

There's an American guy on YouTube demo'ing one of the Chinese carving chisels (like this one:

- it looks quite good. A while back I noticed (on YouTube) someone had converted an electric drill into a carving chisel by making a swash plate to fit in the chuck and welding another on the end of a chisel, the chisel was slotted so that it was retained but could slide - all a bit crude but it seemed to work

I wonder whether you could fabricate an SDS-ended gizzmo with a slot and a hole up the middle to take a standard chisel. I'm not sure how you'd retain it but a little thought should solve that. The advantages would be interchangeability, no need to weld to the chisels and easier sharpening.

Reply to
nothanks

With or without the handle? Without the handle, the range of vintage chisels I'm buying have many tang variations. I have seen a vid where someone drilled down the handle of a gouge and inserted a large wood screw, then cut the head off and inserted the resulting rod in a chuck. the wood screw and tang inside the handle would need to intersect very firmly for that to last long though.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The same - you just need the you tube url and the video number e.g.

The Natural Philosopher

I was thinking that it would be the tang that went into the gizzmo, but if you have chisels with a wide range of tang sizes you could either standardise them (angle grinder, of course) or make an adapter to standardise the end ... reasonably easy with a lathe, but it's becoming a bit of a project to make a project to make a thing.

I've had enough handles come off files and chisels to not want to try that.

If you get it made (in whatever form) it would be interesting to hear how well, or otherwise, it works.

Reply to
nothanks

Depends very much on the quality, some say the latter does go blunt more often, but I've never used one enough to know. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Moving from the earlier idea of just welding an SDS shank to each gouge, a universal fitting on one interchangeable shank would be a great improvement. Maybe forming a standard thread on each tang and screwing it into the SDS fitting. Maybe with a locknut.

Yes it is, and I know why. I've been so inspired by this guy's method of carving bowls with an axe and an adze or two. He forges the tools himself and they're most impressive. If it weren't for the fact that my arms aren't as Arni as they used to be, and buying the tools he produces is quite pricey I'd follow his method to the letter. But under the circumstances a little electrical power might do the trick.

I'm definitely not looking forward to otherwise.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Mike Halmarack

uk.diy. What a wonderful learning experience.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I do tend to err on the old fashioned side, where possible.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Impressive work, and a typical back-to-basics approach that some Americans seem to have in their genes. Thanks for the links.

Reply to
nothanks

Oh I know, I know! It goes right up the radial artery doesn't it? What a bugger!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright