Any experience of "Faithfull" wood chisels and gouges.

They look like quite good quality. Nicely boxed and presented on ebay. No info given on what the metal is though. Carbon steel is supposed to be good, chrome vanadium not so good. Or is this just an old fashioned prejudice/preference?

Mike Halmarack

Not their chisels, but their other tools from an independent DIY shop have been good/old-fashioned quality ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Faithfull is an all encompassing brand offering tools* at slightly more competitive prices than major brands. Same as "Draper" used to be, along with "Rolson" and "Silverline" nowadays. As such quality may possibly vary across ranges with some being top notch and others not. ISTR they used to do a range of metal hand planes cheaper versions of Record/Stanley although I'm not sure of the quality.

*The last coil of blue propylene rope I bought was "Faithfull".

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase

What's the current state of Draper OOI? It seems like they have been positioning slightly more upmarket of late, but I don't know if that's reflected in quality.

IMX Silverline is a mixed bag as you say, and Rolson is pound-shop level.

Hard to keep track of which brands are still real companies, and which are slapped on generic Chinese stuff by 'XYZ Global Brands' private equity.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Don't they have low and high offering, Draper vs Draper Expert?

I tend to avoid, due to having had Silverline tools break within seconds of having started a "once you start, you can't stop" job

Reply to
Andy Burns

I chickened and went for a more expensive vintage set that need some attention.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I'm intending to butcher them by welding each to a SDS shank. But I'd like the quality of carbon steel for the better cutting edge. I don't think the faithful ones are made from the traditional steel.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Theo explained on 30/07/2021 :

When you are at the very bottom of a hole, the only way is up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I used to be like that fifty years ago. Withdrawal Mr Pope? Geddout!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

If you're thinking of improvising an electric carving chisel you will probably need to add an external spring to pull the SDS shank back against whatever hammers it inside the chuck.

Have you seen the SDS wood chisels available on Amazon and elsewhere? They don't seem particularly expensive and would avoid any post-welding tempering hassle.

Also, for light carving, are you aware of the Bosch PSE180? I was fairly pleased with mine (actually, it was #1 SWMBO's) until it died and went in the "repair sometime" box.

Reply to
nothanks

Thanks, I haven't quite got my head around that aspect yet.

Yes, I have had a look. The sets I've seen a very light on gouges. I'm looking for a variety of those.

I can see how this tool would do some light work but I'm looking at carving large chunky bowls among other things.

Regarding the tempering I guess this could be redone with the help of a couple of YouTube vids. I was also wondering if the busiiness end could be packed in ice to avoid damage though my physics is hazy here. Most other places too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

On 30/07/2021 09:47, Mike Halmarack wrote:

uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:

Because of the following filter:

||viglink.com^

Found in: Peter Lowe?s Ad and tracking server list

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ive got a little cheap draper analogue multimeter, fitted with the wrong meter movement so it reads twice what reality is.

One day I ought to fix it...

Indeed. Who would buy Black and Decker today?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apologies, I tried the tiny URL link and uBlock did get in the way but I just unblocked it. Maybe that us dangerous. Is there a preferable, non-naughtye tiny URL site?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Sounds like tinyurl has gone spammy (they now add ad tracking cookies)

It would be much easier to post the ebay number (comes after 'itm', here it's 401721604951) or the ebay link:

Theo

Thanks for the tip.

itm/401721604951

it is.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

What you need to understand is that 99% of the ebay URL is simply tracking information.

THIS is all you need. Just the item number

No need for tinyurl at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's a very useful tip. I wonder to what extent this goes for YouTube links too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Pretty sure I habe That list included in my uBlock, and it didn't block it. Looks more like a URL shortener, than an Ad page, it might track you, but so might anything ...

Anyway, it leads to here

Andy Burns

You don't need one, just cut the crap out of eBay's URL

Andy Burns