Any Appley types around ?

SWMBO lifeline is an iPad pro.

Trying to use a magnetic lightening connector to charge it.

(1) Plug connector+magnetic insert into iPad - charges fine.

Leave the tip in the iPad and remove and reattach the magnetic bit as many times as you like, and it connects flawlessly and gives the "ping" to let you know.

Use the ****ing thing for a while, and the magnetic connector stops charging when attached.

Remove the tip and reinsert connected to the magnetic connector. Works fine as per (1)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sounds entirely plausible for Apple stuff. The normal charging leads have chips in them I believe.

Afraid I can?t help you there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is it something like this that you're using:

Probably better off using a standard cable.

Reply to
Richard

It is very like that. I've been using one for my Android phones for nearly 4 years now with no issues. (I have one that also works for data).

Trying to keep the iPad going as long as possible - the only mechanical wear is on the charging port.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Tim+ brought next idea :

I use a few around the place, with my Iphone. The work fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Mapple ? ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Fraid not given that mine works fine.

No they don?t.

Reply to
Fred

Is it an approved cable or a knockoff? There are indeed chips:

Presumably the stub that plugs into the iPad is powered from the lightning port itself. I wonder if after a while the iPad powers down its 'peripheral', because it goes to sleep or it's low on battery. That means it might not properly negotiate when the remote power is applied.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Doesn?t explain why the tiny magnetic iphone end can have one. And it must be in that because the cable itself charges anything.

Reply to
Fred

I use a magsafe connector with my MacBook Air. Very handy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well seeing as Apple no longer supply their chargers with their phones, I don't know about Ipads, they certainly do sell third party charging devices. Could there be some kind of fail safe associated with this so that if the input is not to spec it removes the charge?

This is a question for Apple and the company who makes the chargers. I use third party lightning cables myself with no issues at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa