How to use this little plastic thing called "screw finder"

This was a cheap Alltrade packaged with a bunch of 1/4" drive screwdriver and drill bits for the cord/cordless drill. This screw finder has a plastic, and non magnetic housing with a 1-1/4" long tapered, hollowed cylinder body.

1/2" outside dia. at one end and 5/8" dia. at the other end. Respectively 1/4" inside dia. at one and 3/8" the other. Inside has a spring. No instructions and labeled as "screw finder", no clue as how to use. Anyone knows?
Reply to
Fred

If its what I think it is, its actually not so much a finder, as a holder....

Reply to
steve

without seeing it, all i could suggest is get a nail or other small piece of steel and move it around near the gadget various ways, and see if there is some visual indication of the proximity of the steel piece. generally these things have a magnet that is drawn toward a nearby steel object, and as it moves, you should be able to see something. If no amount of toying with it seems to get any reaction, maybe it's broke?

bill

Reply to
bill a

It's for driving slotted screws. Slip the screw finder onto the shaft of your driver, with the slotted bit inside the screw finder. The sleeve centers the bit onto the heads of slotted screws, preventing the bit from slipping out of the slot and making driving them easier.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Goodness. I just realized how pornographic that all sounds!

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

drill bits for the cord/cordless drill. This screw finder has a plastic, and non magnetic housing with a 1-1/4" long tapered, hollowed cylinder body. 1/2" outside dia. at one end and 5/8" dia. at the other end. Respectively 1/4" inside dia. at one and 3/8" the other. Inside has a spring. No instructions and labeled as "screw finder", no clue as how to use. Anyone knows?

1.Set the part that will hold the bit that will tighten the screw into the screwdriver. 2.Insert the screw finder into the screwdriver leaving the thinner part facing the mandrel. 3.Place the screw at the point that will be fixed with the head inside the screw finder.
  1. Press the screwdriver until the tip of the bit touches the screw head.
5.Turn the screwdriver until the screw tightens enough to continue the work with more firmness and safety.
Reply to
Felicíssimo

Reply to
Shadow

replying to Fred, Ephraim YeePoong wrote: Me thinks me figured how to use that funny screw finder: #1. The screw finder comes in place of a sliding sleeve screw driver assist tool. #2. It's a 2 hands operating tool to steady a screw applied to a work surface. #3.A short crosspoint bit/apex can be used, but a long crosspoint bit/apex is preferred. Now, that screw finder spring end (small end) must click or clip securely to the bit (you'll hear the click). Your desired screw or bolt goes into the larger end. One hand on the drill & the other hand on the screw finder set up. Depending on the wood and/or surface, a pilot hole may advisable. I'm thinking of other uses; for now this one's ok. I've applied the idea & it works, cumbersome & cheap; it works.

Reply to
Ephraim YeePoong