another wummin tries to get me...

But they have their own rules - particularly on maximum speed and electric assistance only (not able to use electric drive without pedalling). Stupid rules in many ways. If pedal cyclists can exceed the maximum speed of an electrically assisted bike for an extended period, why not allow non-licensed electric bikes to go that fast? Why insist on them having to be pedalled and not allowing full electric drive, which might encourage more people to use them for the daily commute?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My first car. 998 cc. saw one at Mallory Park once with a 4 litre Buicke engine in it. Went like a rocket for about 4 laps - then blew up.

Reply to
bert

Provided they meet strict regs.

Ones I've seen recently - looking just the same - are capable of exceeding

30 mph on the flat.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whilst a push bike can go quite fast with a fit cyclist, as regards commuting, not for all that distance. The speed a powered vehicle can go at isn't limited by the skill and energy of the rider.

I've no objection at all to any vehicle using the roads. But traffic laws must apply to all - otherwise you have ananchy. And since bikes are smaller, more chance of the riders getting seriously injured in an accident, which is so often their fault.

You can sort of understand a cyclist not wanting to stop and taking the shortest way to anywhere due to the physical effort involved. This simply doesn't apply with a powered vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Likely a Rover V8 version of that Buick engine. And you have to try very hard to blow one up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News
8<

It is if they are legal.

Reply to
dennis

Well, that's the point. Most of these electric two wheel vehicles aren't being used legally. They simply don't conform to the regs for public road use. As usual technology is ahead of the legislators.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No it isn't its just that the laws aren't being enforced.

Reply to
dennis

Explain just how you would enforce them. Most traffic law enforcement these days is done with numberplate recognition cameras and postal fines. The simply ain't enough police to deal with 'ordinary' crime let alone something like this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

In the UK we have always policed by consent. This is now breaking down and given we have primary school teachers encouraging 5 year olds to paint Extinction rebellion posters it will only get worse.

Reply to
bert

dot, dash?

Reply to