Another wonderful 'deregulation' story

There was a thread here a couple of months back on how unbelievably stupid and bureaucratic the service industries have become since deregulation... I've been getting a real bellyful of this over the past couple of months while trying (against all the odds) to get water, electricity and gas delivered to my property. Water's reasonably simple (just outrageously expensive - 1100 quid to get a pipe 5 feet from the water main to the outside wall of my terraced house) but electric and gas...? Holy Moses. With electricity I've been all round the houses trying to get to speak to the right person, whoe doesn't deny all knowledge and tries to pass me on to the next company with their multilayered dial-in menus, but think I've finally got it sussed.

But gas...? I have Transco coming in next Thursday to install it (after about 8 weeks lag time). I had told Transco that I had selected Scottish Power as my supplier, so just phoned SP to check that all was well. They knew nothing about me. "Oh Transco should have notified us" "OK, well I'm notifying you now!" "No it has to be Transco".

I phone Transco. "Oh no sir, it's up to you to notify your supplier direct, we don't do that. They need to fit the meter too."

Eh?

So, back on to Scottish Power "Ah well yes you see we actually contract out meter installations and you'd need to speak to them" "Who to?" "Transco"

Of course, obvious really, innit?

Back on to Transco. Apparently a different department deals with that, they fit meters separately. They'll be coming 2 weeks later to fit a meter (so that's another day gone sitting around waiting for them).

Fantastic, eh?

David

Reply to
Lobster

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Nice to see they're keeping up the old British Gas standards.

I had a beer to salute the demise of Barnet after trying to get gas to my hovel, which only needed reconnecting to the main in the street outside.

It was obviously a bit previous

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

A remarkable number of businesses seem to operate like this, on the clueless moron level. What kind of a manager sets things up like this, in a large biz especially, and fails to monitor things? It shows a remarkable lack of basic business concepts. It must cost them a fortune.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote in news:a7076635.0404011247.df7dbc9 @posting.google.com:

Not them - Lobster and me

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I'm involved in a row with NPower Midlands over my electricity meter. It started when I moved in - I gave them the meter reading and was told it was wrong. I can read numbers but it was apparantly some 50,000 units out! So they sent someone (2 weeks wait) to read the meter. Next came paying for the electricity. You have a token meter, I was told. No I don't I said. Yes you do, they said. I double checked and no I don't. They wouldn't believe me - "according to their system...". It was rather amusing - I kept going down to the cellar to look at the meter just to confirm I wasn't missing something or seeing what wasn't there :) They now accept it's not a token meter. To this date I still don't have accounts for electricity or gas (another story). Without an account I can't pay for electric/gas because I technically don't exist. It's a good job it's not a token meter because I would have run out of credit long ago! The whole thing is nuts. They have no idea about customer service, and they make *you* feel like you're a nuisance when it's actually them.

Reply to
Sneezy

The customer is "king" but the title should really go to the supplier - the supplier is the central hub of *any* work that needs doing *after* a mains of any type has been installed. The supplier is the one who has to (at least for the electric) arrange what are called "dataflows" which should, in theory, go to the meter operator (MOP) and REC as necessary.

Not only do suppliers fail to send the correct "flow" but the system has been known to lose them regularly.

Bear in mind all three (supplier / MOP / REC) are effectively seperate companies (although at domestic level there`s only really two layers of shit at present), so no-one is allowed to talk to anyone else officially except via the supplier or a customer call - and MOPs don`t talk to customers. All this is due to change and the MOP system is due to be opened up - you think its bad now, just wait ;-}

This is all down to the regulator and beyond our control. Breach of their terms could mean loss of a companys` licence to operate, in other words someone like Powergen could disappear as a supplier overnight.

Its all "designed" to make it as difficult for the ex-incumbant REC to provide the supply as it would be for anyone else to be the supplier, so there is no perceived advantage.

The actual effect is it makes everyones lives hard.

Unofficially, its easier to sign up with the local supplier and change over to whoever you want after the first 28 day period has passed (other utilities, ie. gas, may have different qualifying periods)

Reply to
Colin Wilson