Boiler PCB Repair - Part II

The parts Geoff needed apparently didn't turn up yesterday, and he closed at noon today for 10 days.

It's the same temperature inside the house as outside, but fortunately the weather forecast is for daytime highs of as much as 8C.

Reply to
GB

I keep a couple of fan heaters for such an eventuality. They don't take up much room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I'm just going to get one. It's not quite accurate that the whole of the house is the same temperature as outside, just some parts.

Reply to
GB

I got "lucky" when similar happens to me last year

I had heating but no hot water for 2 weeks

I have to bath in what I could boil in a kettle

tim

Reply to
tim...

Luckily, it's pretty mild for this time of the year. So much for the press warnings about a hard winter. So far.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm glad I ignored all the advice about changing to a combi boiler. With a storage system, an immersion heater comes almost free. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its always a good idea to keep a spare oil filled heater and a fan heater about the place for such eventualities.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

And an actual oil heater if the electricity goes off.

Reply to
Max Demian

When I had no heating (because I decided to fit new rads and boiler between Christmas and New Year) it was below zero in the daytime. I managed with a couple of those 2kW £20 convector heaters and fan heater. The fan hear would have kept me awake at night.

for example.

Reply to
ARW

I bought this one the other day:

I was about to go and buy a fan heater, but SWMBOI (the final I stands for Instantly) overruled me.

I'm sure we'll be all right for the next couple of weeks, but it would have been nice to get the boiler working. Because gas is so much cheaper than electricity, it would have saved me money to pay for express delivery of the parts Geoff needed.

Reply to
GB

Fitted the "big £2K electric fire" yesterday

It's going to need a plasterer and decorator to finish it off.

Reply to
ARW

It's a big TV screen, showing a picture of some flames?

That looped on to

I hought you were about to hit the lamp post at 15s in, but no such luck. :(

Reply to
GB

Last thing I hit was a wall

ARW

Electric shower - cover most bases.

Reply to
RJH

I had a gas smart meter fitted a few years back. Come November I noticed that the meter wasnt updating. I eventually called the Gas board and was told no engineers were available - it was the year of the bad floods in England - and all the Scottish engineers had been sent down there. Braw free gas I thought but it was a very mild winter and we didnt need much heating, we actually had the heating off for a while. Took them 6 weeks to refit a dial meter.

Reply to
sintv

Beauty of a fan heater for emergency use is it heats up the room more quickly than any other type. And is small to store afterwards. The second part being rather important, if you think about it - unless you have plenty storage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The loft?

Reply to
ARW

I would have fitted my own meter.

Reply to
ARW

That looks pretty funky! What exactly is it?

Reply to
Steve

ARW