Another credit card problem.

Yes, that's me! :-)

However that requires a functional, charged, mobile phone which (in my case) isn't always available.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, this is how I was understanding 'app' too. In principle there's no difference between a mobile phone app and a computer program but common parlance seems to have made the distinction.

Reply to
Chris Green

Google Authenticator (Android app) doesn't require connectivity. So unless phones aren't physically allowed in the workplace, are still a possibility ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It is worth finding out where to put your phone to get the best signal or even changing your network if another has better signal locally. I used to be on O2 until they "improved" network coverage by closing our transmitter. Thick Victorian stone walls don't do them any favours.

You can probably configure your phone to accept Wifi as external connectivity then for making and receiving calls. Some banks will allow you to talk to a dalek by voice instead of SMS messaging.

One of my accounts allows me to choose which of 3 means of contacting me to use for confirmation home/work/mobile phone numbers or SMS.

Some banking apps work by having a preshared key and a magic pass phrase that you must remember if you want to do things online. Ing Bank in Belgium used to do it that way in the earliest days of internet banking.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes, I use that. For a financial account, also for my RIPE login. And for a home security application that I wrote and use.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They aren't called favourites any more, however they can be saved as favourites or anything else you decide to save them under.

Do you have windows 10, you sound like TNP moaning about windows 10 when he doesn't have it.

Reply to
dennis

Get an HSBC account then, they supply a little calculator type thing on a key chain. You enter a pin it generates a code to logon or a different type of code to make payments. ]

Reply to
dennis

How many people carry a card reader with them when out and about or going to work? Are you supposed to carry half a dozen if you have bank and credit card accounts at different places?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I use the HSBC and Santander apps. It means they are responsible for the security and not the browser.

If the get it wrong that's their problem not yours.

You log onto a spoofed site via a man in the middle and its going to be your problem.

Reply to
dennis

I've certainly worked in one place where phones with cameras weren't allowed - there are not so many without these days (even then no smart ones) and you don't want to be swapping the sim back and forth or having two numbers so that you can have a decent phone outside work.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Its less than ideal to run TPA on the same PC as the program that wants authentication.

But much more of a risk of being bypassed/hacked when its stolen/lost.

Reply to
dennis

And if I want to make a payment from my limited company account? Our joint account? A credit card with a different company? I do not want to carry loads of extra bits around for when I want to make payments.

I know they are talking about cards with built-in displays and code generators - we may be getting somewhere then. Although at the moment, I can make payments without even having my card with me, as long as I have the right information available.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I leave very little (if any) bank authentication information on my computer. No saved passwords, no saved account numbers. Much less than there is in a 'banking app' on a mobile where you have little or no control over how much authentication is stored.

Reply to
Chris Green

I'm not moaning about anything as I don't use Internet Explorer in the first place.

And I still wouldn't; even had I known that favourites in IE are no longer called favourites.

It was somebody else who pointed out, correctly or not that Windown 10 calls programs "apps". It isn't moaning to simply point out that if correct, this is potentially confusing.

Quite why so many people are falling over themselves to justify their decision to move up to Windows 10 is I admit somewhat confusing. As with Apple and Dyson its almost as if they need to convince themselves as much as anyone else that the cost, or in the case of Windows 10 users the regular 4 hour updates are all worthwhile,

michael adams

michael adams

Well Firefox/Chrome "bookmarks" aren't really bookmarks either, as that would mean a marker for a page within a sequence of pages if it was inserted into a book.

Reply to
Max Demian

Banks usually supply you with a card reader or allow you to use a "memorable phrase" or whatever. I don't know whether any insist on sending you a text.

Reply to
Max Demian

And files on computers aren't really collections of sheets of paper either; which would possibly be held in a card folder; while folders on computers aren't folders either; so they're no longer kept in drawers in a filing cabinet. Unlike real ones.

Browser bookmarks are links to specific web pages from among the multiplicity of web pages that are available. While all the available pages on the net can be seen as one large book of knowledge, entertainment, stupidity, whatever; all made instantly accessible via the magic of hyperlinks; brought to you courtesy of Sir Tim Berners Lee.

michael adams

michael adams

or in the case

The fact that windows 10 _needs_ updates every other minute indicates that the underlying code must be seriously flawed.

I use Win10 (home addition) as it came with my laptop when I purchased it and the inability to totally turn off updates that bugs me the most.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes, I have card readers (and for HSBC the code generating thingy) but sometimes they add an additional level of security by sending you a code by SMS.

Reply to
Chris Green

After next month's "1903" update you'll be able to control updates like the pro edition.

Reply to
Andy Burns