Another credit card problem.

So an app-based authenticator and/or the ability to generate codes for offline use would be an idea ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sorry, I'm clearly not up to speed on this one and so have possibly misunderstood.

But in the OP's case, how is it possible for him to pay bills during his lunch break, if there is no connectivity to the parties between whom he wishes to transfer the money ?

michael adams

michael adams

The situation I was positing was where you have internet connectivity via a broadband connection, but no mobile coverage with which to receive the code that your bank should be requesting for extra security when dealing online.

In such cases, having an app to generate a code (or a pre-generated code you saved elsewhere) still works fine.

If you have no internet at all, then you aren't going to face the problem of needing a verification code sent by phone anyway ...

There has been some chatter of late that some banks are going to trial the need for an extra code sent by SMS at the checkout for larger purchases which has been (correctly) criticised for assuming universal coverage.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Then the email won't work either so its not a problem. The apps work over IP using WiFi or mobile data the same as the email. The same as the banking apps I use too.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry, I misunderstood the stuff about apps.

So despite being unable to install any apps on company PC's providing he's already generated the necessary codes on his phone, or can do so on the phone without a connection, he' ll still be able to pay his bills using the company PC's.

So the codes aren't device dependent. Or at least shouldn't be. Which is maybe your point.

michael adams

michael adams

Er, "apps" on "PCs" ? Surely you mean "programs" ? And in any case, what bank requires you to install a *program" on a PC to use their services ? Apart from a shit one ?

Now a *website* through which you conduct internet banking is a much more believable scenario. And yes, there are plenty of situations where you could have internet access, but no reception for an SMS. My last had office being one, where despite repeated promises, one corner had no reception at all.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Maybe I'm too old for this game, but to me an "app" is a shitty piece of code specifically intended for use on a mobile smartphone or tablet. (Lazy shorthand might be for Android/Android derivatives and iOS). The PC (Windows) equivalent is "program". Yes, techincally an "app"lication, but the distinction makes sense as I'm not aware of any UK bank that requires a *program* to access their services. Website, yes. Program ? No.

Personally I avoid most "apps" anyway, but certainly banking ones.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Which banks provide their own browser ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Indeed. In the old days there were operating systems and applications which were often shortened to "apps" - as in Visicalc was the "killer app" for the Apple II." Applications rather than programs, because operating systems are themselves programs.

However nowadays it seems that "apps" are specific to mobile phones and are mainly limited to a single function. Which is what distinguishes them from full blown applications running on PC's.

All I'm asking is, in the circumstances, would the OP have been able to pay his bills via a website, using his company PC ? From what you say above it would seem the answer is yes providing he was able to generate or had already generated the necessary codes on his possibly unconnected phone.

michael adams

michael adams

If phone coverage is not perfect why the need for anything on a smart phone.

On two accounts I have a stand alone card reader which not only requires a card and its pin but also code from the web interface. The reader then returns an authorisation code.

Reply to
alan_m

I think there's ongoing confusion about the situation where someone has internet access, but not mobile coverage needed for a 2FA code by SMS ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Windows 10 on my PC thinks they are all apps

Reply to
charles

Though it distinguishes between "desktop apps" old style programs and "trusted store apps" metro/tifkam/universal new style apps

Reply to
Andy Burns

Woss that got to do with anything. If you don't have a browser on your computer, you can't access their website. So they "require a *program* to access their services". Doesn't mean they need to supply it to you.

HTH.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well yes. Loath as I am to criticise Bill and all his works, in IE, bookmarks have always been called "favourites". Only they're not "favourites" at all, sites you visit the most; but simply sites you may need to visit more than once.

In any case things have really been going downhill ever since Bill ceded day to day control; so nothing really comes as a real surprise any more.

michael adams

michael adams

In the industry I am in, we have access to the internet and websites, but cannot load extra programs (or apps) onto our PCs. The companies don't provide wifi access for personal devices and due to coverage, no mobile that works in the Engineering offices (O2, Vodaphone, but not EE) work at site (EE only) so if you move between Engineering and site offices, you are unable to use your mobile at all for at least part of the time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Windows has "apps".

You were talking about authentication apps - I don't know if any are available for PC when phones cannot be used.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Absolutely, and I'm very non-confident about using a mobile phone, except for making phone calls. I hope I'm not over-confident using the internet from a computer (desktop or laptop), but I am at least fairly competant.

Reply to
Chris Green

... but they're still mobile based aren't they? 'apps' says to me somthing on a mobile, it's not definitive but it is common usage. As my mobile is so rarely used it's not familiar or easy to use for me, much better would be an authentication 'app' (i.e. a program) to run on my laptop or desktop computer.

There is also the added security plus of it being somewhat less likely for me to lose my computer! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I don't want to "pay bills during his [my] lunch break", I'm retired, thus I'm most likely to be at home (poor mobile coverage) or somewhere unfamiliar/outlandish on holiday with insecure wifi or whatever.

Since we have little or no mobile coverage at home my mobile is rarely turned on (or even charged) when I'm at home.

So, I need a secure way to confirm payments (or whatever) which

*isn't* my bank sending me a text message - unless they can accept sending it to my home phone landline number.
Reply to
Chris Green