Another backdraft shutter question

The recent thread about whether these make a noise or not has reminded me of a question I have about these.

We have an extract whose outlet faces downwards through the soffits, is there any sort of draught prevention that can be fitted to this or will I have to do it in the ducting somewhere? The outlet is rectangular if that makes any difference, most of the duct is round.

Reply to
Chris Green

Our tumble dryer vent goes from the machine via a snort length of round flexi ducting to the round to rectangular converter, though 90 degrees, up the wall to the ceiling then out though the wall to a grille. In the rectangular outlet section is a flap (that from memory) is pivoted on either side and just over centre vertically so it flaps up easily from the airflow of the TD. In the many years it's been there it's never been an issue or made a noise.

(Manrose Flat Ducting Pipe Connector With Damper - White, 110mm x 54mm

40270).

If there was any part of your rectangular duct that was horizontal you might be able to use the same? I think they also do spring loaded versions that pivot in the middle (like butterfly wings) that might work vertically?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They come in all shapes and sizes:

IIRC (and it was several years ago and I've moved house since so can't check) the damper I had was 'plastic' and fitted snugly inside the round ducting on the downstream side of the extractor fan. Can't remember what held it in place inside the ducting, nor am I sure how it was actually fixed; duct tape perhaps.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Green explained on 13/03/2021 :

The only none electrical ones I have seen, all rely upon being vertical in a wall and need gravity to close them/ air flow to open them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

In message <s2ichr$jhv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@harrym1byt.plus.com.invalid> writes

There are *spring close* versions but the springing must be very light and I think they are limited to horizontal fitting.

We both need the *wax stat* version:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yup. Mine was one of those. A very light spring, and the whole shebang mounted in a horizontal duct.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Tim Lamb was thinking very hard :

I have a wax stat version on our bathroom extract, it works rather well and never any wind noise.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Chris Green snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote

My powered shutter is inside. The external grill isn't shuttered and is just there to keep birds and mice etc out of the duct.

Reply to
Fred

Of got a fan with a waxstat shutter in it, in the utility room It works well. I ought to do the same for the bathroom as that lets in a cold draught

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher