Double glazing question

Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be difficult to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

Reply to
Mike Lane

Double glazing suppliers (as least some of them) can provide a hole through both panes for this purpose. They put in an edging strip like the one around the outside edge. I've not seen one without a fan fitted. Must look a bit weird ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Lane saying something like:

The supplier can do that.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Vent out through facia / eaves?

Reply to
John

John wibbled on Sunday 04 July 2010 09:12

I've done this. BES for ducting, including rectangular flexi for getting over the last "3 foot" over the wall plate. TLC for "chrome" round ceiling vent. Solar and Palau inline fan. Fan fairly quite, motor wise. Rectangular vent in soffit required a jigsaw. Removing soffit was not required - can pull the ducting through with a rope.

Internal ceiling vent not so quiet due to massive suckage of said fan! Having said that, I did want a high extract rate so noise is inevitable unless I used a huge vent. Slower fan may be a good option if you don't need to clear the air fast.

Reply to
Tim Watts

One of the local Chinese chippies has such a pane with the fan missing - I'm suprised they don't get rubbish thrown through it at night as it's just above head height!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote on Jul 4, 2010:

Reply to
Mike Lane

John wrote on Jul 4, 2010:

Possibly, but it sounds expensive - and unnecessary if I can leave it where it is. (Possible according to above link.)

Reply to
Mike Lane