angle grinders .

I would guess that the majority are used by law abiding householders and tradesmen.

Reply to
alan_m

They are all much the same, my Metabo angle grider:

121 pages pages 2?3 picture with The Numbering of Parts pages 4?5 large table of specifications for every model variant page 6 pictures with the reference Nrs of accessories

pages 15?25 English instructions, of which 3 pages of safety instructions 2 pages how to use the rest being blank space and yet more warnings

the rest of the big fat booklet being in every other language including a set of pink pages with yet another page of safety instruction in English

Reply to
DJC

I think the key is that the manufacturers do this to ensure they are not prosecuted for 'dangerous equipment' and failing to inform its purchasers how to use it.

Viz the apocryphal 'pet in a microwave' case where it was held that the manufacturer was responsible for failing to inform users that it was not suitable for drying out wet pets.

So it is less that these things are legal requirements on the *owners* than that they are legal requirements on the *manufacturers*

There is no legal requirement for me as a private individual to wear safety gear when chainsawing, and I don't.

But I could not employ someone else and make them perform without it.I would be personally liable for any fuckwittery they might indulge in and no insurance would cover me.

So change them.

Mine oddly, all do.

Not that my insurance company has ever asked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They used to ask but the difference in premiums for answering yes or no was a £1 at most.

Reply to
alan_m

but it gave them the opportunity to not pay out sometimes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

until you mentioned this Brian, I never considered them being used for pinching cat converters.

Reply to
critcher

On some cars they are pretty accessible from underneath. Quicker than a hacksaw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have never had an angle grinder disk of any size disintegrate. (OK, I have had the unreinforced Dremel abrasive slitting disks fail). And for that matter I can't recall an instance of a grindstone failure in my

50-odd years in industry where every production site has quite a decent mechanical workshop.
Reply to
newshound

I have the (relatively) new 1 mm sheet-metal-cutting disks. They are specced for sheet metal of a mm or two, for cutting with less heat and less distortion than the more usual cutting disks -- 5 mm thick or so? I am less inclined to trust these, particularly if used in cutting thicker stock, as will inevitably happen. (This lack of trust means I think more about where the bits would fly if it should shatter, than when using a thick cutting disk. One should be checking if the sparks are flying somewhere safe anyway, i.e. excluding tile, glass, glasses, porcelain, ceramic, mirrors, etc from the landing zone. Most who have used angle grinders have that particular t-shirt, is my guess.)

Any thoughts on the thin slitting disks?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer