Concrete Gravel Boards and Angle Grinders

I am going to install some additional concrete gravel boards to raise some fence panels one of which will need cutting to fit. So the question is do they have rebar in them? If they do can I use the diamond saw on my angle grinder to cut straight through or will I have to make scoring cuts and split the concrete and then use a normal metal cutting disk to cut the rebar?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

No idea. If you've got a neodymium magnet somewhere that will soon tell you if there's a steel rebar inside.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Steel rebar in the last 300mm one I cut. Long while ago but 2 possibly 3 lengths of 6mm. I think I was using a 9" stone disc.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Watched a video on gravel board manufacture and It would seem at least 3 thin rebars are inserted in a 300mm board so the only question is it OK to cut just with a diamond saw through both concrete and rebar which appears to be about 6mm diam.?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Cutting is no problem. treating the exposed end of the rebar to prevent corrosion and the inevitable 'concrete cancer' is the real issue.

Reply to
Andrew

I think diamond saws should not be used on metal of any sort.

Your local burglars/bike thieves might know more. Abrasive discs are cheap enough:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

(a) I *think* they have rebar. (b) Its a bit of a waste of diamond, but I am sure it will cut it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used a diamond nail full to reprofile a 'dead' metal fret on my guitar.

I am sure all the manufacturers of high end diamond knife sharpeners will pay you enormous sums for your superior knowledge

And that is the point, when cutting with abrasives, all yo need is the cheapest thing that is harder than what you are cutting. Carborundum is harder than steel, so is diamond. Carborundum is cheaper than diamond. Go figure. The only reason to use diamond on steel is longevity of the tool. It wears out slower...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's diamond disks and diamond disks. Some of the expensive ones are certainly recommended for use on steel. The cheap ones may blunt quickly, especially if not very well cooled.

If I was doing a lot of cuts then I think I'd look for a diamond disk rated for steel, otherwise I'd just use a "stone" abrasive disk. Maybe they do wear faster than "steel" ones, but they will cut steel as well.

Reply to
newshound

Of course they have rebar. A 6 foot long concrete panel that is 1 foot high and 2 inches thick weighs a *lot*. It would be dangerous to handle them without rebar and most would simply break in transit between manufacturer, stockist and end-user.

Reply to
Andrew

Snip.

Fine for low contact speed such as diamond files or other hand tools. I have no special knowledge on this but think the temperature reached by a diamond disc cutting steel is likely to degrade the material retaining the diamonds.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well it does when cutting stone, for sure! Diamond discs do not last indefinitely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher