Bosch angle grinders

Hi,

Can anyone explain why there are so many blue Bosch angle grinders and what the differences are between them?

Screwfix used to sell (IIRC) the 6-115 but they now sell the 7-115 which is marked as "new". Yet Machine mart are selling the 8-115. The only difference appears to be the power of the motor, which was 670W for the 6-115 720W for the 7-115, and 800W for the 8-115.

Toolstation don't follow the x-115 model number convention but list a GWS850, which is rated 850W.

Would you notice the difference between a 670W and 850W angle grinder and why do Bosch make so many different motors and have so many different models on the market all at once?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Perhaps they buy them in from different Chinese factories and that's what's on offer?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bosch seem to do this with the smaller-model cordless drills too. More models exist than are needed to cover the price-points ad varying needs.

My guess is it's so that different stores/different markets don't have to compete directly on price.

Buy what you need, at what for you is a reasonable deal - and don't get stuck in over-analysis.

Reply to
dom

You could try looking here:

Certainly lists all the variants you mention - and then some.

I have often had a feeling, not backed up by proper research, that Screwfix are doing a lot of buying end of model life products - and not moving on to new models. This seems to be the rationale behind the Makita Site models.

Haven't double-checked but I think I have the GWS850 (bought from Toolstation at a lower price than current) - came complete with usable plastic case (space for cable and discs). Has worked fine for me - nice and soft start, reasonable noise level (from the tool itself).

(Could the ones in cases be the same as bare models but with different numbers? Wouldn't account for the wattage differences, I know.)

Reply to
Rod

Possibly its this 'price promise' bollox. Common with domestic electrical goods.

May well be that the 7-115 is only supplied to Screwfix, the 8-115 is exclusive to Machine Mart etc. - but they are more or less all the same machine.

You prolly won't notice much. I bought a Site angle grinder when SF had them on offer - can't really fault it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks. It's reassuring that the power of the grinder is not critical. I was hoping to pick up a cheap 6-115 when Screw fix reduced them to clear but it looks as though I am too late ;(

Like you say, I'll look for whichever one is on offer. If it comes with a case, that will be a bonus too.

I have a green one at the moment but thought I might get a blue one because I'm too lazy to change discs!

Reply to
Fred