Discs for Screwfix angle grinders

Hi,
just contemplating buying an angle grinder.
The cheaper/smaller ones at Screwfix are listed as taking 115mm discs with a 14mm spindle.
AFAICS Screwfix don't list discs to that spec - mainly 22mm hole.
Am I missing something?
Do the grinders come with a sleeve for larger discs?
Or is the world (as usual) just wierd?
TIA
Dave R
P.S. The Quote 91763 at 6.99 seems too good to be true - I have seen other posts on this (but not recently). Is it worth getting as a 'disposable' grinder, or is it just too tacky?

other
the 14mm thread size is not the hole size that is used, there is an adaptor plate included with the angle grinder. the thread size is important if you want to put on a wire brush or similar.
mrcheerful

with
<snip>
adaptor
you
So the 22mm discs should do fine?
Just gritting my teeth to pay the extra 4 for Saturday delivery.
Short week this week, and Friday caught me unawares :-(
<snip>

While we are on the 'dumb bunny' questions, there are two types of disc listed, metal and stone.
Are these made of metal and stone, or for cutting metal and stone?
If not and such which whatever.......
Which should I use for what?
On Fri, 7 May 2004 14:56:35 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"

It means for cutting metal or stone.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

<snip>
Are 1/4" 650w angle grinders any good, or should I look to spend 19.99 (still not a vast amount) on a 9" 1800W grinder, which spookily enough is 3*power for 3*price :-)
In a minor panic now because I want to get my order in before 18:00 to get the stuff delivered tomorrow.
TIA Dave R
On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:04:05 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"

It probably doesn't matter - most likely it won't last the weekend anyway :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
<snip>

get
The voice of bitter experience, or just the deep cynicism which usually developes in DIYers?
On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:35:28 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"

Experience really. More often than not, I've found that bargains like these really aren't.
For example, not that long ago, somebody here had had an angle grinder from Screwfix and it had caught fire.
If something is a clearance item, there is usually a reason for it - either an overstock, poor product or new range coming out.
I bought a Bosch, some while ago for about 40 and it has had a great deal of use.
Whenever I've bought one of the clearance deals or entry level items, more often than not a return has been required. If I think about the hassle of doing that or worse still, returning a product to a store with the time that takes, any saving is long blown away.
I've just given up buying unbranded products for these reasons - it saves so much time and money to just get something decent and be done with it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

I'd like to second that. I use angle grinders *a lot*, and consider myself to be a bit of a connoisseur. They are one of my favourite tools.
I have a blue Bosch 110mm and a B&D 110mm. I also have a 9" blue Bosch. I use the Boschs for most heavy duty stuff, and the B&D for sanding/wire brushing. All for metal work only.
I occasionally need to cut stone. Angle grinders really don't like stone dust - so I always have a crappy cheap one in the workshop for stone/other really dusty stuff. I treat them as disposable - I might get 2-3 days use out of one, but that's it. They really are crap in so many ways - the motor, the switch, the guard, everything. Because they don't last long, I've owned maybe half a dozen crappy angle grinders. They are all the same.
--
Grunff

On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:02:53 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

I agree with you in broad outline. However allowing for the fact that for some of us the MTBTheft is at least as significant the MTBFailure this modifies the situation a little.
Many of the power tools I buy are used fairly infrequently so if they do a good enough job I'm happy to forego some quality to save on theft risk. (This applies even to hammers an Estwing may be the best by far but it is also apt to become self-propelled).
Another thing to mention is that in many cutting tools the blade is much more than half the influence over the entire performance. So a cheap tool with a good blade is almost as good as that blade in an expensive machine. E.g. Circular saws - put a Freud blade in a Ferm unit and try it.
Inevitably the cheap tools come with cheap cutters.
IME the tools that have to be really good (because every job uses them): 1) The cordless drill driver Power Devil (stop gas after theft) life = 3 days.     Ferm lasted 2 weeks     2nd hand Makita is failing after 1 year (occasional electric brake not working). Abuseable as mallet to knock in wall plugs. Abuseable as masonry drill with 'universal' bits.
2) SDS drill:     Dewalt never fails before theft :-;     Abusable as mini-Kango.     Abusable as dry diamond driver.
Others get used much less. Ferm Angle grinder - used a few times a month going strong after >12 months. Transformed by using a norton diamond blade.
Ferm jig saw. 20 - a few times a month. Nearly as good as my old Bosch 90. Can be 'persuaded' to take Bosch blades 8-).
Ferm planer 30 - dissapointment. Not much used.
Ferm circular saw - transformed with Freud blade.
Cheap Sanders flat and delta - good enough.
However if most of the jobs I did were carpentry or decorating the evaluation would change.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I've just let the magic smoke out of a Lidl (or was it Aldi) angle-grinder. After cutting some 100mm*5mm of steel. I thought that the smell was some coating on the steel. It wasn't. It diddn't actually stop, but it had reduced RPM, and smoke coming out of the vents. I turned it off.
On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:35:28 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "David W.E. Roberts"

I'll agree with Andy on this one, you won't need to buy any discs because it'll probably break before you manage to wear out the first one you put in it. I once had a cheap grinder and it completely fell to pieces before I finished doing the first job with it, and my mates got one that's about knackered and it's not even dirty yet. Some cheap power tools are alright, grinders aren't.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

is
If it helps at all I am on my third one of these tools (only paid for one the rest have been returns). On the first the switch jammed, in the on position, the first time I switched it on. The switch has also failed on the second replacement. So far the third still seems to be working........
I think seven quid is just too cheap for a power tool and you'd be better off with almost anything else. That said I did manage to get the one job that i wanted a grinder for done so I can't complain too much (though I probably will).
Cheers
Mark Spice

Andy, you're getting like IMM.
I have one of the (very) cheap ScrewFix 115mm angle grinders and it's survived a year or more of moderately heavy use without any problems at all.
--
Chris Green

<snip>

Thanks Chris - just leaves me with the question of which size is the most useful - the 115mm or 230mm disc.
If the little one will cope with most stuff then there seems no need to go for the heavier one.
4" (115mm) grinder I find is fine for most stuff (I have 5 of them, each fitted with different disc types to save regular changing) and a 9" (230mm) one. I only really use the 9" for cutting concrete blocks and large chunks of steel.
Why don't you just go to your local shed? B&Q had a 4" grinder with 50 discs for 19.95 recently. I bought one just for the discs!
Alan.

(230mm)
discs
<snip>
Saw this just after I pressed the 'buy' button on screwfix.
Equivalent would be 28.43 on Screwfix (grinder plus 2 sets of 25 discs).
B&Q is miles away, unfortunately, and the local Homenase didn't have anything like that offer.
Still, I wanted other things from Screwfix anyway .
Thanks for depressing me - you don't normally see something cheaper quite that quickly.
Cheers Dave R

115mm is easier to use, easier to store, and the discs are much cheaper. The difference is max depth of cut is limited to something like 1.5"
Oh, do use a diamond blade, not the conventional grit ones. The difference in performance is huge. Toolstation do them for a fraction of the price of screwfix. Toolstation.com.
Regards, NT

Forgot to mention, make sure you get indirect vented safety goggles, dont use the cheaper direct vent ones. Too many people get nasty eye injuries from the cheap direct vents, they just have holes in the side. Indirect vented ones have plugs in them so theres no direct entry path for the red hot particles that grinders throw off in huge amounts. /Never/ use one with no eye protection. Screwfix do indirect vented ones.
Ear defenders are a good idea too, though not as important as the eye stuff.
Regards, NT