Discs for Screwfix angle grinders

Hi,

just contemplating buying an angle grinder.

The cheaper/smaller ones at Screwfix are listed as taking 115mm discs with a

14mm spindle.

AFAICS Screwfix don't list discs to that spec - mainly 22mm hole.

Am I missing something?

Do the grinders come with a sleeve for larger discs?

Or is the world (as usual) just wierd?

TIA

Dave R

P.S. The Quote 91763 at £6.99 seems too good to be true - I have seen other posts on this (but not recently). Is it worth getting as a 'disposable' grinder, or is it just too tacky?

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

the 14mm thread size is not the hole size that is used, there is an adaptor plate included with the angle grinder. the thread size is important if you want to put on a wire brush or similar.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

So the 22mm discs should do fine?

Just gritting my teeth to pay the extra £4 for Saturday delivery.

Short week this week, and Friday caught me unawares :-(

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

While we are on the 'dumb bunny' questions, there are two types of disc listed, metal and stone.

Are these made of metal and stone, or for cutting metal and stone?

If not and such which whatever.......

Which should I use for what?

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Are 1/4" 650w angle grinders any good, or should I look to spend £19.99 (still not a vast amount) on a 9" 1800W grinder, which spookily enough is

3*power for 3*price :-)

In a minor panic now because I want to get my order in before 18:00 to get the stuff delivered tomorrow.

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

It means for cutting metal or stone.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It probably doesn't matter - most likely it won't last the weekend anyway :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The voice of bitter experience, or just the deep cynicism which usually developes in DIYers?

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Andy, you're getting like IMM.

I have one of the (very) cheap ScrewFix 115mm angle grinders and it's survived a year or more of moderately heavy use without any problems at all.

Reply to
usenet

Thanks Chris - just leaves me with the question of which size is the most useful - the 115mm or 230mm disc.

If the little one will cope with most stuff then there seems no need to go for the heavier one.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Experience really. More often than not, I've found that bargains like these really aren't.

For example, not that long ago, somebody here had had an angle grinder from Screwfix and it had caught fire.

If something is a clearance item, there is usually a reason for it - either an overstock, poor product or new range coming out.

I bought a Bosch, some while ago for about £40 and it has had a great deal of use.

Whenever I've bought one of the clearance deals or entry level items, more often than not a return has been required. If I think about the hassle of doing that or worse still, returning a product to a store with the time that takes, any saving is long blown away.

I've just given up buying unbranded products for these reasons - it saves so much time and money to just get something decent and be done with it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall
4" (115mm) grinder I find is fine for most stuff (I have 5 of them, each fitted with different disc types to save regular changing) and a 9" (230mm) one. I only really use the 9" for cutting concrete blocks and large chunks of steel.

Why don't you just go to your local shed? B&Q had a 4" grinder with 50 discs for £19.95 recently. I bought one just for the discs!

Alan.

Alan

Small ones have a limited cutting depth but are much easier to handle

- one-hand use is the norm. 9" ones cut a lot deeper and you get a lot more out of a disk but need both hands.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Heaven forbid. I'm just the opposite.

I am completely consistent about always going for branded and good quality tools for my own use.

Whenever I've tried one of the private labelled cheapies, I've found that about two times out of three something will be wrong:

- Doesn't do a decent or accurate job

- Fails after a short time

- Is not comfortable to use

Mostly it's been all three when something has gone wrong.

Admittedly there are return arrangements and warranties to compensate for this so that at least there are 2 or 3 years of replacement cover.

It's encouraging that there are at least some good situations.

I tend to look at DIY activities as a means of doing a better job to my timetable and as something of a change from the day job rather than as a means of saving money, although that is something of a benefit.

Hence, I become very irritated with situations where a poor tool prevents a good job being done, or one that fails and results in time being wasted - e.g. 2-3 hours round trip to a DIY store, several days lost with mail order etc.

I just don't have these problems with decent branded products. OK, so they cost a bit more. I would rather do that and have something that is a pleasure to use and helps me to do a good job.

I can understand that there are others for whom purchase cost saving is the key factor. That's fine and it often correlates with having more time available to handle problems if they happen. However, if time is a factor then all the factors should be considered.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Saw this just after I pressed the 'buy' button on screwfix.

Equivalent would be £28.43 on Screwfix (grinder plus 2 sets of 25 discs).

B&Q is miles away, unfortunately, and the local Homenase didn't have anything like that offer.

Still, I wanted other things from Screwfix anyway .

Thanks for depressing me - you don't normally see something cheaper quite that quickly.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

I don't think I fancy using even a 115mm angle grinder with just one hand.

Reply to
usenet

I'd like to second that. I use angle grinders *a lot*, and consider myself to be a bit of a connoisseur. They are one of my favourite tools.

I have a blue Bosch 110mm and a B&D 110mm. I also have a 9" blue Bosch. I use the Boschs for most heavy duty stuff, and the B&D for sanding/wire brushing. All for metal work only.

I occasionally need to cut stone. Angle grinders really don't like stone dust - so I always have a crappy cheap one in the workshop for stone/other really dusty stuff. I treat them as disposable - I might get

2-3 days use out of one, but that's it. They really are crap in so many ways - the motor, the switch, the guard, everything. Because they don't last long, I've owned maybe half a dozen crappy angle grinders. They are all the same.
Reply to
Grunff

The cheap angle grinders really don't last any length of time. Buy one by all means, but treat it as a disposable item.

4" ones are great because they are a lot easier to handle, and can get into tight spaces. But a 9" gives you lots more cutting capacity.
Reply to
Grunff

I've just let the magic smoke out of a Lidl (or was it Aldi) angle-grinder. After cutting some 100mm*5mm of steel. I thought that the smell was some coating on the steel. It wasn't. It diddn't actually stop, but it had reduced RPM, and smoke coming out of the vents. I turned it off.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

An armature winding failed by the sound. Got your receit? Take it back.

My Aldi SDS drill still looks lovely. Haven't used it yet, though.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built