angle grinders .

Plenty of people still selling them Screwfix being one!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Have they become illegal then ?

Reply to
Smolley

I have one. They are dangerous if using it to cut and the wheel gets nipped. Had a couple of near misses.

Reply to
harry

Can't see them being banned, nothing else like them for cutting slabs, concrete, etc. While they have a lot of "oomph" they are normally quite heavy and the inertia makes them manageable.

Reply to
newshound

I'd consider banning battery powered ones. Or improving padlock security!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And your point is? Judging by the racket on a nice day around here most people have an angle grinder and a hammer drill and that is all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I think all power tools capable of making hot dust should come with eye protection and a face mask of some kind. People are stupid it is clear. A person I know has suffered for years with getting tiny metal bits in his eye. The medics have done all they can but its irritating and now they say they cannot do an mri of his shoulder in case the bits of metal are affected by the magnetic field. Health and safety. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I think the battery powered ones ar used mainly by crooks to get catalytic converters these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Incidentally should we ban all road vehicles because they can cause accidents? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I bought mine for trimming bricks round an enlarged window opening. A 4" one ain't deep enough to cut through a brick.

I'd say they're no more dangerous than a 4" one. Both need treating with respect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Why are they called angle grinders ?

Reply to
Smolley

It's an obsolete spelling of angel. It originates because if you aren't careful you'll end up with the angels.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

To differentiate them from straight grinders.

harry

angle grinders are a relatively modern power tool. Drills OTOH go back millennia.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are actually, lot more torque and a much bigger spinning disk if it come apart when the disk jams in what you are cutting. Much safer to use that disk in a hand held circular saw if the disk come apart in use.

Both need treating with

Reply to
Jake56

Bought my first one in the early 70's; black and decker, it has done a lot of work and is still fine. Might have had a couple of sets of brushes. Still on its original power lead, with only one sticky hot-shrink splice.

Reply to
newshound

Even is face masks and eye protection are supplied the stupid will not wear the PPE. Even if it's used the first time the tool is used the PPE is unlikely to be stored with the tool and forgotten about the second time it's used.

At some time in life people have got to take responsibility for their own safety. The safety information is always included in the manual but I guess most people don't RTFM. Possibly the problem is sometimes in dumbed down safety advice in the manuals - part of an Amazon review I wrote for a Dewalt Mitre saw "Truly awful instruction book. At the back of the book is some safety related text but most of the manual is pictures. The first page indicates you should be wearing a wet-suit, be blindfolded and you should never plug the equipment into the mains nor operate it if carrying a teddy bear."

Sometimes important safety information is lost in the pages of legal arse covering... Do not operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs Do not operate this power tool in rain etc.

Reply to
alan_m

Yup, this excess of advice for the retarded actually results in most people NOT reading even basic safety advice. It may be an improvement on the old days of zero safety information, but it's a mostly missed opportunity in safety terms.

Stupid advice is needed for legal reasons. Perhaps it could work a lot better if they put the stupid stuff & the sensible stuff in separate places.

Mind you I did see a deficiency in safety advice with one angle grinder. The instructions failed to point out that the machine should not be used for surgery.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like Lidl power tool instructions. Pages and pages of legalese, and all the bits you want crammed into one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The last bit was from a Makita tools I purchased recently. Some of the arse covering instructions are generic and do not even apply to the equipment thus making the list even longer.

Instead of just recommending safety glasses they must comply with ANSI Z78.1, En 166 or AS/NZS 1336

It appears that in Australia that it's a legal requirement to wear such PPE when using this tool.

As the TV advert asks "do you locks conform to bs3621 - no-one knows"!

Reply to
alan_m