Moving toilet

I tring to get the nasty old flooring up in my bathroom. Its vinyl stuck down. I'm plannong on using a heat gun and pulling it up. Theres hardboard under it.

I'm not sure what to put down in there, perhapds some of that waterproof wood flooring from B&Q or something like that ...

Ahh back on to my question to get a nice finish is it a simple job to lift the toilet up to lay any thing of flooring as oposed to cutting around it for that seamless finish ?

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen

totally remove it is my advice. May need new screws and or couplers, but its makes a better job.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's stuck to hardboard, I'd try to lift the hardboard with the vinyl still stuck to it. That's how I did it. it breaks up easy enough once you get the edge up.

Depends on the toilet - but yeah, it's not horrific usually.

Slight difference in height between new and old isn't usually an issue with toilet connections, but check...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

If the toilet's pushed into one of those fittings with a number of rubber disc seals then it's easy to pull it out and stick a plastic bag over the pipe to stop smells wafting in. Depending upon the relative heights of the pipe and toilet you may be able to get away with any slight change in heights without changing anything - we lifted ours to put laminate flooring and the foam insulation board under, with no change to the pipe.

As to what to put there - we bought a bathroom safe, wood effect, click-lok laminate from B&Q and water managed to attack it by the following year. On the other hand we also bought tile-lok for the kitchen at about the same time which is still perfect years later (and my wife often mops the floor, so it does get quite wet).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's what I did when the kids were very small, and put vinyl under the pot. Sealed under the skirting with silicone sealer and no chance of poor aim getting into the woodwork.

However, I couldn't remove the pot in a previous house, it had been set on mortar.

Reply to
<me9

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Stephen" saying something like:

First, Mungo's moving shed, now a moving bog. Is this an episode of F.Ted?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon