So I think that

awk: Bailing out near line 1

would have passed by totally........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Natural Philosopher wrote

True, but it's even better to be up front and admit you don't know right from the start and ask for help. I admit I haven't got a clue about core dumps and segmentation faults, but then I'm not a programmer. Neither am I an electrician. But unlike IMM, I do not try to show off and give bad and sometimes dangerous advice on matters I know very little about.

It would be nice if we had a rule that everybody totally ignores everything he says, and then maybe he might just go away.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Reminds me of the carp (ing) in uk.env.cons. I'd kill-file at least 3 posters from uk.d-i-y, if I could. Two you've mentioned, the third purports to be of the female sex and seemingly contributes only waffle and OT tittle-tattle.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

I know. You give it on a subject you earn a living at. Appalling!

Reply to
IMM

Agreed...

But, apropos of very little, it's quite amusing that modern UNIX-ish systems still have that error message...

It comes from the first public UNIX (1976) which ran on the PDP-11. That machine had segmented memory (not paging), hence 'segmentation fault' and of course it had real core, not semiconductor, memory. Yet the message persists!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Bob Eager writes

Allegedly, early unices have the amusing message "lp: on fire" as a catch-all error message for printers. It's made it into the Linux kernel:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I never saw that one when I started back in 1976...but then we didn't have a proper printer...! Just a DECWriter...

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Peter Taylor writes

I doubt it.

I think he posts here through a need to belong, and just being ignored isn't going to stop him

Reply to
geoff

In message , IMM writes

Not only DIMM, but clueless with it aren't you

Reply to
geoff

Maxie, I don't need to belong to the likes of you.....a Morris dancer??? Boy oh boy!

Reply to
IMM

In article , geoff writes

He's no more than an attention seeker, and is too stupid to realise he's as welcome as a dose of the clap, and about as useful.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

My Arse!

Reply to
IMM

Blimey, a youngbie. Don't you remember the gatling guns? (Teletype 43 and earlier)

Reply to
nomatter

C'mon. If you haven't used an ASR33 - with tape reader and punch - then you've missed an entire education.

Ah... the smell of warm oil, the jamming of the mechanism.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, that's just when I started UNIX. Remember it NEEDS a lower case peripheral. The DECWriter was the first lower case thing we got.

Oh, ASR-33s....! Used those a LOT earlier... CLATTER! JAM! WHINE!

Reply to
Bob Eager

:D so true

Reply to
nomatter

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "IMM" saying something like:

Pah; the only thing you know about US PoWs in Korea is what you read in "The Manchurian Candidate".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I do. I did see North Korea play football once. And I saw South Korea play football in the last World cup on TV. Is this the stuff for a spy novel writer?

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

What, on the telly tonight?

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

Except that if your first suggestion is true then ignoring him will mean that his need is no longer being satisfied here and so he will move on.

Reply to
me