String of white LEDs

Went to a wedding at a golf club and SWMBO saw some strings of white LED in some bushes. They did look nice and she recalled that she once saw an arrangement of small lights in one of those large "indoor garden" glass bottles.

I am now on the hook to find a source of such a string of LEDs. Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
John

John Lewis' lighting department have them.

Reply to
Huge

In message , John wrote

Probably they were Christmas tree lights/leds.

Reply to
Alan

Interesting - but don't need the various effects and the associated thick wiring.

Reply to
John

"Alan" wrote | John wrote | >Went to a wedding at a golf club and SWMBO saw some strings of white LED in | >some bushes. They did look nice and she recalled that she once saw an | >arrangement of small lights in one of those large "indoor garden" glass | >bottles. | >I am now on the hook to find a source of such a string of LEDs. Any ideas | >anyone? | Probably they were Christmas tree lights/leds.

I don't now about strings, but QVC regularly have white light 'nets' that can be hung or draped. And they also regularly have a summer-time christmas show so you don't have too long to wait.

only shows what they have in stock.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Interesting - I don't recall saying they have "various effects and the associated thick wiring". I do recall saying "John Lewis' lighting department have them."

Was that not plain enough?

Reply to
Huge

Easy enough to make, if a bit fiddly. Check Ebay for LEDs - there are many selling them there. You'll need an appropriate DC power supply. 12 volts would be suitable. To drive an LED at about 20mA (reasonably bright) from

12 volts each needs a 470 ohm series resistor.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Easy to make, a little harder to make last long. The cheapest LEDs have a life of some thousand hours before going dim. Unfortunately, it's not easy to tell what the seller paid for them. They also hate moisture ingress along the leads, so you really need them in a little box, or at least something to protect from rain.

I made some almost invisible LED lighting. Take 0.1mm wire, and solder onto LED dice (0.5mm^2). In a non brilliantly lit room, you just saw three little blue stars hanging in mid air. Soldering does need done under a microscope though, with very, very steady hands.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Huge - sorry - I looked on the John Lewis web site and found a string - but they were with various flashing features and thick multi strand cable. I shall thrash myself soundly and get down to the real lighting dept when next in a suitable city.

Reply to
John

I bought some as outdoor Christmas lights a couple of years ago, from my local Garden Centre.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar