Mains string LED lights stopped working, help

Hi I have a 30 meter set of LED lights which I painstakingly pinned up all around my home. They worked for 3 months and have now stopped working. If y ou press the function button on the control box they flash once or twice th en go off. Due to this I am pretty sure the problem lies with the control b ox. The entire unit is as one, there are no plug in sections. I am just won dering if there is a way I can get them going again, as to take them all do wn again would be a serious pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
tammyriley1977.tr

Do these lights sequence (as in 'running lights') or are just static?

If they (normally) run but do light up even momentarily then that would suggest the LED's themselves are ok and as you say, something might be amiss with the control unit.

I believe these things often use a 24V AS wall wart type PSU so assuming that's ok (easy enough to measure off load with a multi meter), all you have left is the control unit.

I'm guessing worse case you might just be able to wire them all up to be stationary and just run them directly off the PSU (once you know what sort of voltage is expected on the end of each 'run' etc).

If the lights plug into the control box, could you get another set and just use the new controller?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Saturday, 10 February 2018 20:27:56 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wro te:

l around my home. They worked for 3 months and have now stopped working. If you press the function button on the control box they flash once or twice then go off. Due to this I am pretty sure the problem lies with the control box. The entire unit is as one, there are no plug in sections. I am just w ondering if there is a way I can get them going again, as to take them all down again would be a serious pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you show us details of the light strings & controller we could work out how to run them without the faulty controller.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is that "LED lights" as in individual LED "bulbs" joined by wire or a flexable PCB strip with chip LEDs (either "white" or "RGB") soldered to it?

What features should the control box provide?

Probably but we need far more information about the set first. Wired LED bulb strings can use some very crafty series/parallel wiring and voltages up to 30 odd. RGB strips might use passive RGB LED chips and three supplies one for each colour, all the LEDs behave the same. Or they might be individually addressable and any LED can be any 24 bit colour.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice