age

Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs. It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

Reply to
critcher

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

Usenet does not have the traffic it once did; my suspicion is that the younger element congregate to what might be perceived as the slightly more social environment of the web based bulletin boards, plus of course the social media.

Reply to
newshound

Most of the young use smartphones. Is there a usable Usenet app for iPhones? AFAIAA the only decent app for android which allows you to post as well as read is Piaohong. And that is not quite free, unlike most of the clients for Windows and Linux.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The young are the ones with the cranky attitudes. The reason being that they're brainwashed.

I'm 68. Is anyone here younger than me?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

critcher brought next idea :

Most of the younger element seem to use social media, to keep everyone posted as to what they are having for breakfast, when they visit the loo and etc.. Not my thing at all, it is all so very shallow and pointless to the extreme.

I like online forums, especially the more serious minded ones and Usenet. There is not that much to choose between these two, other than pictures and diagrams are usually a part of the online forums, which can be essential sometimes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Groundhog isn't too bad, and free.

Reply to
Max Demian

Of course. Only those who were fairly early adopters of things computer are still interested in a text only medium.

Most want pictures and pretty colours.

But it's not only Usenet. Noticed that some email groups I've belonged to who have started a parallel web based forum very soon lose traffic to the email side, and usually close.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, cranky.

Reply to
dennis

Almost everyone I shouldn't wonder.

Although there used to be an "older lady" here that used to gripe about her grumpy/useless husband and his DIY.... She was called Florence or Ethel, or Mildred or some such other. Last heard of chopping down a cherry tree and chasing her chickens around the yard IIRC...

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I'm 70 on Article 50 day - I'd rather be 50 on Article 70 day!

Reply to
PeterC

Oh yes, by over a decade (just)...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep, a direct push feed like an email list or usenet just arrives, new threads, old threads. Web forums have to have a concious decision to visit, just in case there is something new. Then you have to login, and navigate the relatively slow and clunky interface(*). It says something that these systems have to mail you when something happens in a subscribed thread ... Why not just mail the message and allow email responses, far slicker, far quicker.

(*) I once compared how much formating and "eye candy" came down with

10 < 1 kB of messages on a fairly plain web forum. Well over 100 kB...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

52 here.
Reply to
Andy Burns

65 and not liking it.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

60 in my case.

NewsTap is the only one I've found for iPhone/iPad. Works okay if not brilliantly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk was thinking very hard :

Yes and I met her once. All you read was true :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Roger Mills explained :

Probably because it relies almost entirely on the written word.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

62½
Reply to
DJC

Much of the bulk is not only advertising, and analyic data for the forum owner, but huge complex tracking operations by google and others to link up your various online activities and log them. The ostensible, and perhaps main, reason is to refine targeted advertising, but it does make any web activity tedious if one has a slow connection.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

66
Reply to