age

But it seems that your mind never grows old like your body does. When you attempt what was easy 10 years ago, the inability of your body to carry out the tasks asked of it reminds you of your real age.

Reply to
critcher

In message , Huge writes

Which rather brings the discussion full circle, at least in terms of Usenet, and the death thereof. Yes, we all remember dial up, typing replies, briefly connecting, uploading one's own replies, downloading everyone else's, reading then repeat all evening. Online forums and social media as youngsters know them now would just not work under those circumstances. Usenet and mailing lists were perfect for the circumstances.

Reply to
Graeme

Facebook is Usenet with pictures.

Reply to
Huge
[21 lines snipped]

Arrrgh, 'sendmail'. Hideous, hideous, hideous.

Although I switched to Postfix quite quickly.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, 62

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Was it Sophia Lauren who, at the age of 75, was asked by an interviewer "at what age do women lose interest in sex". She replied "I don't know, I'll ask my mother".

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

and do people remember the days when you had to download 'artistic photographs' in lots of pieces and then cobble them together? I don't remember the name of the group but its subtitle was "gigabytes of copyright violations".

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

That was before Turnpike, then?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That's still going on, only for movies. Lots of people don't even realise that the non-binary parts of Usenet even exist.

Reply to
Huge

But the 'threading' is inadequate.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Virtually everything about Facebook is functionally inadequate.

Reply to
Huge

And the interface is incredibly shit.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Not really. You select the people and subjects you are interested in. No Facebook group I subscribe to would put up with the amount of OT stuff on here. Or any forum, come to that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't discover Usenet until the early 2000's, I had heard of it, but just couldn't work out how to get to actually make use of it. I had used email and some home Internet via Free something-or-other for many years.

Now I have a raft of devices all making use of my broadband, but I am always left wondering if I might be missing out on something, like I missed out on Usenet for many years. One thing I really ought to do, is get my head around setting up an email server, rather than the mess I have at present of each system grabbing mail from my accounts when its turned on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You don't need a server just set the clients to use IMAP.

Reply to
dennis

Sounds like each device you have is configured to delete mail from server once downloaded. You don't have to do that. You can configure each client to leave mail on server (i.e. never delete it), and have a "main" device which controls when mail *is* deleted.

Reply to
Tim Streater

it's not as good as that.

Reply to
Huge

Tim Streater expressed precisely :

That is what I presently do, but I am conscious of the amount of mail I receive and limited space on the ISP's mail server.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I was running all my internet stuff on an Amiga at the time, so no Turnpike support...

Reply to
John Rumm

yes I suppose Usenet does give us a chuckle now and again, usually the same posters.

Reply to
critcher