Advice sought - Removal of Stud wall & planning permission etc.

A while ago we removed a stud wall to enlarge our kitchen, we were blatantly oblivious of regulations and didn't think we needed to get planning permission for a stud wall. oops.

Now we want to re-mortgage and have run into trouble. (The mortgage company are asking for paperwork).

What should our next step be?

Advice Gratefully received!

Thanks

Reply to
Haircut

How do they know you removed it?

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

Unless your house is listed or subject to some weird and wonderful covenants you wouldn't need planning permission to remove an internal wall. Who told you that you did ?

Building regs may be a different kettle of fish but even there I'd be surprised if anyone cared if the wall wasn't a supporting one.

Your next step could be to tell the mortgage company to get stuffed, politely, of course :-)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

"Haircut" wrote | A while ago we removed a stud wall to enlarge our kitchen, we were | blatantly oblivious of regulations and didn't think we needed to | get planning permission for a stud wall. oops. | Now we want to re-mortgage and have run into trouble. (The mortgage | company are asking for paperwork). | What should our next step be?

You probably don't need planning permission to remove the wall, but check with the planning dept of the council.

What you would have needed would be a building warrant to show compliance with building regulations. In this scenario the most likely concerns would be proof that the wall really was non-loadbearing (stud walls can be loadbearing, for varying values of load) and the resulting layout of the rooms with regard to fire regulations. The building control dept of the council are the people who enforce B Regs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Talk to building control and check if you really did need their approval. If so you can usually get retrospective building approval (I forget what name they give it). You pay an extra 20% AFAIR.

Reply to
Malcolm Reeves