Garage - change of use

Hello all

We have a single garage which is attached to our (1965 built) semi. The garage frontage is level with the front of the house. At the rear of the house we have a large 'porch' which was installed in 1996 made of UPVc with a solid roof (this measures about 5ft by 11ft and was installed as the largest 'porch' we could build using a solid roof - apparently it would have been classed as a conservatory and needed a glass or perspex roof had it been any larger - or so the installation company said at the time).

This 'porch' was built backing onto the garage and side on to the kitchen like so:-

xxx_xx xxxxxxxxx x x x x x B x x A x x x x x x xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx C x

A = kitchen B = porch C = garage

We removed the old back door from the kitchen (which was very shoddy and had cheap locks) as the porch had a much more secure back door and it enabled us to have a small table and chairs for eating, as well as making our very small kitchen feel a lot bigger.

We would now like to make a doorway through from the porch to the garage, section off most of the garage and make it a proper usable room reachable via the porch. We would leave the garage door in place and build a wall inside the garage leaving the front 6 feet or so for storage. There would be no door through this wall, and the exterior frontage of the house would not change (eg it would still look like a garage).

Bearing in mind that the garage wall is only one brick thickness, so would need to be properly insulated, and that it has a solid wood roof with felt and tarmac (redone within the past 3 years)can any one see any pitfalls to this plan? Also:-

1) would we need planning permission and or building regulations? 2) Electricity meter is currently at rear of garage, could we box it in to look like a cupboard or is there some rule that says it would have to be moved? 3) We are very broke - is this likely to cost a bomb? Husband is very useful DIY'er and not afraid to have a go at things.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you could offer.

Lyn

Reply to
LJE

IANA anything. Especially not a planning law expert- as I live in a National Park and cannot put up a dog keenel without their permission. Which they wouldn't give. It just encourages people to grow mushrooms. ;)

Only if you were found out.

Now, if the new room had a door to the garage section and was only a store room for the (motorcycle) garage, another situation entirely. No change of use there. No harm in having an easy chair or two in the store room - mechanics have to ahve a break now and again - Health and Safety and all that. No harm in storing stuff in the motor-cycle garage area, either.

There are rules about firedoors to garages and relative heights of floors. Make sure you follow those. Please, please, make sure you follow those.

Yes, you could box it in. Remember the meter inspector - who should be able to see that you haven't whipped the seal off the company fuse and bypassed the meter. No, it would not have to be moved. It is fine to have a meter in a storeroom ;)

Then DIY. But please be careful with floor heights and firedoors.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Sounds like something several of our neighbours have done. I'm told it's pretty straightfoward, but that is assuming that the new doorway into the garage will not be weakening a supporting wall ... in our house it's definitely not so is simple. Perhaps it's worth asking around to see if anyone in the road has done this ? And no doubt well worth getting a quote from a builder - the gentlemanly thing would be to ask him to provide quote / advice and offer to pay him for his time, then he won't mind spending a few minutes telling you how to do it. If the dividing wall in the garage is only block / woodframe, then it would be easy to remove if you ever wanted the garage again. hth Neil

Reply to
neil

Both I suspect. Certainly in many urban areas, loss of a garage (regardless of what you use it for) counts as loss of an off-street parking space, and if that takes you below the required number per house (also depends how many bedrooms) for your area, you won't be allowed to do it. That issue hit a neighbour of mine.

Reply to
andrew