advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on

Probably better than the tilapia I was eating. Yuck. Mud with bones in.

We've had weevils (at least, that's what I assume they were) in flour here...

That's probably the reason the game lodges keep the lighting down!

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar saying something like:

What a bind.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jill Bell saying something like:

Oh, you get used to it. After a while, cow milk tastes insipid.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

don't think so.

Local landowner does both.

He snares foxes and dispatches them with a 12 bore through the back of the head.

He also allows the local horsey set to rush around chasing them as well.

With dogs too. The law seems to have had zero effect. Oh I expect someone has trailed a dead fox for the hounds to follow, but if they break off and chase a live one, what can one do? :-)

There are almost no police within miles, and certainly none with the time or inclination to enforce a law none of them believe in anyway.

As long as some anti-hunting mob don't turn up, who gives a shit? everyone's lost chickens and pheasant chicks, and that's lost money, and a lot of inhumane killing by foxes.

I told em to say that they were all pagans, and hunting foxes was part of their culture, and if Jews and Muslims get away with cutting animals throats to make meat, then they should say that chasing foxes with dogs is part of their cultural and religious heritage..too..

Anyway, the racist government is now out of office, so that one will get quietly repealed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No license is required for livestock (in England and Wales). You do need a CPH (county parish holding) number which you can get with even minimal land. To keep certain types of livestock you also need a herd number for that type of stock - so for pigs you need a pig herd number.

These are not licenses and there is no test or charge to get them.

As other posters have said there may be covenants against certain types of stock and/or you may end up causing a nuisance.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Class warfare. Didn't you realise?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes, I just wondered who else did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK but do you need a licence?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yup. of sorts. foot and mouth etc. They want to know who keeps what.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You must have a holding number for the species of livestock you intend to keep.

There are then many laws governing aspects of keeping them: transportation (you do need a licence for this and, if over a certain distance, a special certificate for the transporter); paper work that you are obliged to keep; ear tagging; etc.

Reply to
Howard Neil

In message , Howard Neil writes

After 3 years of semi-retirement I am out of touch. The last government introduced fresh rules every year or so. Passports for cattle, ear tags for sheep, roaming inspectors for movement records, Blue Tongue compulsory vaccination, restrictions on GM products in feed, battery hen cage sizes, farrowing crate restrictions, TB routine testing and probably more I have forgotten.

Mostly these were brought in to combat disease outbreaks or as requirements from the EU. Unsurprisingly, DEFRA gold plated the implementation.

In addition there are voluntary industry accreditation schemes which make holding and particularly selling livestock a lot harder.

As others have said, self sufficiency is a very ambitious target. I would say, having made a living from a small family farm for 25 years, don't give up the day job:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What if it just naturally developed into one?

Reply to
<vicky