Advice on dressing lead flashing

I need to flash the top abutment of an extension roof where the tiles meet brickwork.

I got wickes leaflet 22, but I have some questions that it didn't answer. Also I can't seen to get hold of a Calder guide on the web - has anybody done a pdf?

These are my concerns:

  1. The edge of the lead that is dressed over the tiles needs to be stretched somehow, otherwise I'll end up with a banana shaped bit of flashing.

  1. Should I fix the lead sheet into the wall first to counteract this tendancy to banana?

  2. Do I start dressing the lead sheet in the middle and then work left & right along the roof, or do I just start at one end?

TIA Andy

Reply to
Andy Carter

Hi

Couple of questions - how long is the abutment, measuring up the roof slope as you should only install the lead in 1.50 lm lengths.

Are they plain tiles ie 10 1/2" x 6 1/2" or interlocking concrete tiles.

Let me know I can scan and email you the details from my Lead Sheet Association manual.

Regards,

splowe.

- Steve Lowe

- E-Mail : snipped-for-privacy@usa.net

- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM

- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Reply to
Steve Lowe

Hi steve,

I've now since got the Calder booklet. The abutment I'm flashing is horizontal, along the top row of tiles some 5m long. The tiles are interlocking concrete (Marley Malvern) its a fairly deep profile like a sine wave.

I've tried a couple of times with scrap pieces of lead, if I try to dress too much lead at once it doesn't stretch, it just bends. I think I need to dress an inch at a time with lots of small blows from the dresser. Is this the right technique?

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Andy Carter

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply - what code lead are you using - minimum is code 4 or 5

ps thought you were talking about a abutment - I didn't see the word TOP when I originally read your 1st post.

If lots of small taps are working then it's going to look better then creasing the lead by trying to do it too quickly.

My LDA manual shows a top edge abutment with a deep profiled tile like a Redland Delta - it shows separate pieces of lead welded to form the capping over the top of the profile of the tile - but the delta has a sharp inverted V profile - the smother profile of the Malvern should be ok for just bossing the lead over it.

Regards,

Steve.