Need an idea for an extract grill

I have a fitted kitchen which has a double fan unit built in extractor, this will be used in re-circulating mode ... so the air comes in at bottom through various filters and out through top of cupboard.

Well that last bit is the problem, the kitchen fitters left it with top of cupboard still intact, so the air if I switched it on would just blow into the cupboard.

The system is designed to re-circulate as in kitchen ceiling I have a whole house ventilation extract point.

I checked with Neff and they advise that either I use a ducting kit (can't as length is to far from external wall) or I cut a hole in top of cupboard and just let it vent.

I don't like that idea and want to fabricate a grill or extract port on top of cupboard .. still venting to the air, but at least better than just a hole in top of cupboard.

Also if I put some sort of vent there I could place layer of filter material in there as well, it would also stop anything ever falling down the hole into the fans.

What I need is something to take 150mm diameter fan outlet and connect that to a grill or frame on top of cupboard that is at least equiv c/s area, and if it can also hold a piece of filter material then that is a bonus.

Any ideas ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Why can't you hire a core borer to go through the wall the cupboard is hung onto?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

How about ventilating it through through the kickspace at the bottom of the cupboard or an adjacent cupboard?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

This would be a bit of a bugger extracting into the study.

I don't want to extract, I want to recirculate as the ceiling has a central extract to the heat exchanger ........... huge amount of waste heat is sucked out by extractor fans .. why waste it ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Have you looked at heat recovery products like P/N 12239 on the BES website. These get rid of all stale air and moisture but very little of the heat.

Reply to
G&M

Because recirculating types do not work. At all. Not even a little bit. Could you extract to your central extractor? You mention a heat exchanger. Is this a heat recovery type?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I have a full heat recovery & ventilation system built in the house ....... that is why I want to recirculate the cooker hood rather than vent.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The recirculating unit was deliberate decision ........ all it has to do is suck stem etc. away form the cooker it sits over, the 3 stage filter catching grease & dirt.

I then want this to vent out of the top of the cupboard/canopy it sits in, this 'air flow' will point towards the ceiling vent which is about 1m away, so that performer the full vent function .

All the Neff unit is doing is moving the steam etc away from cooker.

On my previous place the hood extracted direct into heat recovery ducting, but all the companies now reccomend not doing this due to build up of grease & dust in the duct (fire hazard)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes