Immersion heater problems - cost or replacement

Hi All,

Last week the element in my immersion heater stopped working. The light was on at the wall but the water was not heating up in the tank and there was a different noise to usual coming from the element. After doing a bit of research I attempted to remove the element using an immersion element spanner, a couple of taps with a hammer, a heatgun and a lot of wishful thinking but to no avail. The tank now appears to be weeping very slightly around the element (where there is a bend in the copper rather than around the actual hole). A plumber has been to see it today and also attempted to remove the element but can't and has given me a quote for fitting a new tank altogether at £575. From what I have seen in other posts, this seems rather expensive. Can anyone give me an idea of what I should be paying for this? The tank is a combination one with a cold water section at the top (it is made by Fortic if that helps). Are these tanks a lot more expensive than standard immersion heaters?

Thanks

Reply to
Shugal

Is it electric only, or does it get heated from the central heating?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On 6 Jul 2004 03:32:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@zoom.co.uk (Shugal) strung together this:

Standard immersion heater

Reply to
Lurch

It is electric only.

Reply to
Shugal

Thanks for the info. The plumber has given a price of around £200+VAT for the new tank but his latest quote comes in at £480 so that seems reasonable.

Reply to
Shugal