Adding lights

Hi

I live in the UK in a house that's about 30 years old or so. I don't really know anything about electrics, but I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to add some spotlights, so I bought some and set to work. I had a look at one of the switches to try to figure out how the lights were wired, now I'm confused. I looked at a switch for a one way single light, but instead of having the one-in-one out wiring I expected, it has two wires coming in the top and one coming out the bottom. This does not seem to match either of the wiring schemes I have read about. Does this mean that the switches are wired as junction boxes or am I talking crap? Please excuse my lack of knowledge. If someone can explain it to me I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

All the best Keith

Reply to
graysnoust

For a start, when you talk about wires do you mean cables (ie probably grey or white sheath with wires inside?). If so, what colours are the insulated wires, and what are they connected to? Full description would help here!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Three terminals all connected on a switch means it's two way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for your reply. OK, the switch has 2 terminals: the one marked TOP has 2 red cables going into it and is live; the bottom terminal has one red cable going into it that is live when the switch is on.

Reply to
graysnoust

Thanks for your reply. Definitely only one switch. Also, I checked a one way light in my folks house and the switch is wired exactly the same way.

Reply to
graysnoust

The bottom one is the switched live, the other 2 are looped in live feed. These days these should be accompanied by earths. There is some reg about the max distance a wire can go without an integral earth conductor. I'd start at the light fitting you are replacing/adding to. There must be a nuetral there and hopefully an earth.

Reply to
Keith2.0

Thanks very much. Sorry to be a pain, but can I just ask: how is the circuit wired? does one of the TOP wires go to the next switch? I take it this circuit is not one of the textbook methods now used.

Reply to
graysnoust

Your lights are wired in "singles". You are correct that one of the wires on the TOP goes to another light switch. Somewhere in the house will be a switch with only one wire in the TOP. This will be the last light in the chain.

You will also find at the fitting one live and two neutrals. One of these neutrals will carry on to the next fitting in the chain.

This method of wiring is still used (and favoured by some local authorities in their properties).

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Thanks very much Adam. There is a 5A fuse on the circuit at the moment. Would it be OK to put in a 10A fuse, because I think we might be about on the limit for 5A?

Reply to
graysnoust

I am afraid that is a "how long is a piece of string" question. You need special equipment to measure the earth loop on the lighting circuit before you can answer it.

Do not just change the fuse.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Well I got it installed and working, so thanks to everyone for all your help, it's much appreciated.

All the best Keith

Reply to
graysnoust