ADAS Calibration ?

Having just waited 2 weeks to have a windscreen replaced, because the car needed ADAS (automatic driving assistance aids ? - adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning etc etc) calibration, I am curious as to what's involved, and how badly an uncalibrated system might be ?

The whole thing seems to revolve around the fact that pressed against the windscreen is a **** off camera which looks like something out of a 1960s jet fighter. It's almost all heatsink.

Apparently this car (Citroen) needs the calibration done "on the road" - it can't be done in a workshop.

I would have quizzed the technician, but the car was in storage while we had a replacement.

I'm trying to understand how the system can be so sensitive that the slightest disturbance to the camera requires a recalibration (as the leaflet left behind advises).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm guessing this continually-encroaching computerisation/automation of driving and vehicles is going to lead to an upsurge in demand for classic cars which aren't burdened with ruinously-expensive-to-fix/maintain technology. You wait and see....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The Gf's mini is probably due a new rear sub frame. It had a new one fitted 6 months ago, is parked in a garage and it has only done 75 miles in the last 12 months.....

Just saying:-)

Reply to
ARW

Well I know that Tom Jones was supposed to wear out the tyres of his parked trailers, but really!!!

:-)

Reply to
newshound