Cleaning stainless steel

I have an old vacuum flask that has become pitted and I would like to clean it but even Barkeeper's Friend doesn't work. Any ideas? - Mike
On 16-Jul-17 4:37 PM, Mike wrote:

I used to have a chemical for cleaning stainless steel. It was an evil stuff that needed to be near boiling when you put the item into it and needed major fume extraction. It was, however, very useful for doing complex shapes that didn't lend themselves to polishing.
This page gives information on how to go about polishing stainless steel with polishing mops and compounds:
http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Polishing_Guide.html

Colin Bignell
Mike wrote:

    Screwfix does a ss cleaner.
Might be the sort that actually is a ferous type that goes rusty? Brian
--
----- -
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 09:04:24 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

OP here.
It became badly pitted and it happened over the Winter when it was sotored in a (dry) kitchen cupboard. Strange really, because it's years old and previous Winter storage hasn't affected it.
I couldn'y find a SS cleaner at screwfix, perhaps the've discontinued it.
I don't have any polishing euquipment (apart from a small dremel tool) so that is not really a solution.
I guess I could try painting it, Hammerite perhaps.
Or maybe just buy a new one.
Thanks all. - Mike
On Tuesday, 18 July 2017 14:53:11 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

I have encountered supposedly ss items that either weren't, or were of such a low grade that they rusted easily from cleaning.

Dremels can polish metals, but it would have to be a special item to be worthwhile.
NT
<Mike> wrote in message > I guess I could try painting it, Hammerite perhaps.
If it's that far gone you could try mounting a wire brush
http://www.screwfix.com/p/norton-expert-crimped-wire-wheel-brush-50mm/7977H?kpidy77H&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid IaIQobChMI3d-suZKT1QIVzzLTCh0ZmwbFEAQYASABEgK2YPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL_D5MWSk9UCFUKC7Qod2oYB6w
in the end of a drill and giving it a go over with that.
It would probably be advisable to wear goggles or safety glasses
That would give an interesting industrial looking finish but you might want to finish it off with a finer grade either wire wool by hand or a finer brush if available.
michael adams
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 16:37:57 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Bleach or lemon juice do a good job on our sinks.
Jonathan