Cleaning stainless steel

I have an old vacuum flask that has become pitted and I would like to clean it but even Barkeeper's Friend doesn't work. Any ideas?

- Mike

Reply to
Mike

I used to have a chemical for cleaning stainless steel. It was an evil stuff that needed to be near boiling when you put the item into it and needed major fume extraction. It was, however, very useful for doing complex shapes that didn't lend themselves to polishing.

This page gives information on how to go about polishing stainless steel with polishing mops and compounds:

Nightjar

Screwfix does a ss cleaner.

Reply to
Capitol

Might be the sort that actually is a ferous type that goes rusty? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

OP here.

It became badly pitted and it happened over the Winter when it was sotored in a (dry) kitchen cupboard. Strange really, because it's years old and previous Winter storage hasn't affected it.

I couldn'y find a SS cleaner at screwfix, perhaps the've discontinued it.

I don't have any polishing euquipment (apart from a small dremel tool) so that is not really a solution.

I guess I could try painting it, Hammerite perhaps.

Or maybe just buy a new one.

Thanks all.

- Mike

Reply to
Mike

Bleach or lemon juice do a good job on our sinks.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I have encountered supposedly ss items that either weren't, or were of such a low grade that they rusted easily from cleaning.

Dremels can polish metals, but it would have to be a special item to be worthwhile.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If it's that far gone you could try mounting a wire brush

in the end of a drill and giving it a go over with that.

It would probably be advisable to wear goggles or safety glasses

That would give an interesting industrial looking finish but you might want to finish it off with a finer grade either wire wool by hand or a finer brush if available.

michael adams

michael adams