A new front door - DIY or not?

If someone steals the keys through the slot & then you have a fire....

Reply to
Adam Funk

Pad handles are usually used with a split spindle lockbox though, aren't they? Turning the "outside" shaft operates the deadbolt but doesn't release the latch, only the key does. The "inside" shaft releases the latch, same as rim latch.

Reply to
Lee

I don't think the lock boxes change. They supplied mine with a pad handle which I didn't want. They swapped it and I don't think they changed anything other than the handle and maybe the spindle.

It maybe that some multipoint locks don't support split spindles but all the ones I have seen do. Not that I have seen more than a handful.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, I fitted a yale lock to the front door (actually it's the side door on the drive, but we never used the front door which is bolted) as it wouldn't get locked with the mortice lock and if we aren't at that end of the house, someone could easily walk in un-noticed.

Reply to
Chris French