A dose of realism, please

Hummm, if you can identify the unit you may well be able to source a replacement heat exchanger, often the trade knows where to find them, but the suppliers are either hidden on industrial estates and/or require you to have a trade account before they will supply you....Theres a place in Portsmouth I use that carries a good range and isn't bothered if its a cash sale.

Niel.

Reply to
sue.fagan

Notice the words "could be dangerous" and "likely to be illegal" in the CORGI rhetoric.

This stops short of saying "is dangerous" and is "illegal" because the reality is that it is not illegal provided that you are competent and provided the work is for yourself and not as a business.

CORGI are reasonably warning that if an installation is not done competently then it will be illegal because the law does require competence. However, the Statutory Instrument (GSIUR) does not specify what competent means in the general sense and it does not specify qualifications or training that one must have.

The Gas Safety (INstallation and Use) Regulations 1998 do state that in the business context that a fitter or business must be a member of "a class of persons" defined by the HSE for the purpose. Currently, the HSE defines that to be CORGI. If you look at gas safety on the HSE web site you will see that this whole area was reviewed about a year ago and the conclusion was that DIY gas work could not be prevented anyway and that there was no evidence that it was linked to any mishaps.

The definitive answer is in

is the law of the land, pure and simple..

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Actually, I have no issue with the notices in B&Q and the like telling you you it's illegal, because unless someone actually knows what the situation is, that's a perfectly good misapprehension for them to be under. If they take the trouble to find out what the real situation is, then they probably also take the trouble to find out how to do the job properly too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Please read what I have said in this thread before jumping down my throat.

I acknowledged that I could have been wrong but, understandably, I wanted to be assured of the *exact* position - until I see the basis of the opinion, it is only sensible to treat it as an assertion and not necessarily as fact. Having seen the basis of Clive's opinion I have since thanked him and I ma happy to accept it as fact.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Our boiler service man (small local guy, not BGas) has been saying that to us every year for the past 11.

Reply to
Huge

At least my response was one that erred on the "safe" side - I could well understand an uproar if I told the OP that gas work was easily undertaken by even the most inexperienced of DIYers. It's entirely possible that the OP could have unwittingly given a passing novice a false impression that gas is safe to work with - in that respect it's probably just as well that this issue has been debated for the good of everyone reading this NG.

I've made my error (it seems a common misconception as well), acknowledged it and thanked the person who gave me the necessary details showing me the error of my ways. I've learnt something. However, all you've done is pass down sanctimonious judgement - that teaches me and others who read this group nothing.

I suppose you were born an expert in all things DIY? If only *experts* are allowed to post then I guess this board will die a gradual death over time as the experts move on and noone is prepared to proffer an opinion for fear of being shot down in flames.

That said, I can well understand the danger of offering *dangerous* advice on this board and I try not to get involved if I think that the issue at hand is likely to maime or kill someone if mishandled.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

It is not an assertion, it's fact.

Read what he said

But that's not what you said before is it ?

Reply to
geoff

If you don't know what you're talking about (as it would seem you don't) ... don't post

Reply to
geoff

In message , BigWallop writes

?????

How many boilers built today are going to last 20 years ?

Reply to
geoff

Let's hope people don't think you're quoting me, Jerry - these were Geoff's words. ;o)

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

You're coming over as a bit of a prat with this continued "last word" stuff. You're not a woman, are you?

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Almost, Mozilla 1.4 on Linux for both.

It's a Shetland delicacy. Have a look at

for details of the recipe.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

It's a minor thing really, Jerry, but if you don't plan to quote me saying anything specific, you're best off editing me out of it to avoid confusion, that's all.

In terms of the above example, it's the equivalent of blanking out what C said by means of the [snip] - some people might easily read an extra ">" when scanning the post because they expect me to be quoted saying something.

It's a psychological issue rather than a technical one.

cheers, RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Erm, the quoting looks OK to me, Netscrape (for reading, not psoting!) - isn't it? What an interesting name you have, BTW. Is it real?

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

You appear to be quoting Mr Mutton as saying "Grow up and get over it". At least it isn't clear that you intend to only to quote him as saying [ snip ] and not the comment afterwards.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Oh dear! I know there are threading issues with the way of psoting that I'm employing, but are you saying the ">"s used in quoting, i.e.:

|A said: |> B said: |> > C said: |> > > I am C |> > I am B |> I am A |new text from jerrybuilt

are coming over wrong? I've added "|"s in the example so that hopefully the quoting in this reply won't be confused.

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

No, the '>' symbols are technically in the right place. However, with the line before being simply 'snip', it is very easy (in fact more likely than not) that a reader will assume the next line belongs to the only quoted name also. As there was only one line of actual text, your response appeared to be directed at that, not the snipped text of the named individual.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A few weeks ago I posted a poll of the causes of of boiler death based on my experience. Main causes were

1) Incorrect installation --> Severe primary circuit corrosion. 2) Too much inefficiency relative to modern offereings so not worth repairing minor fault. 3) Refrubishments - especially needing better pressure DHW in flats without excessive costs 3) Refurbishments - space saving of the cylinder.

Now the new ones that have gone in suffer none of the above problems so there will have to be some new reasons for boiler death.

There may be some people who will fall out with a particular make/model because of unreliability and/or excessive spare part costs?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In my experience the spares outlets (at least in North London) do not require you to have an account. One or two will not sell 'gas carrying parts' to unregistered fitters.

I did see someone ahead of me who wanted a new ignition lead for his boiler saying "it's getting so hot it's melted the lead" whilst holding a charred wire in his hand. He further went on to say "someone is coming on the w/e to look at it but I'm trying to get it going now". The shop simply gave him a new part.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I think you mean nearing the end of its lifespan and more economical and sensible to replace.

Reply to
IMM